Using an oxygen tank for welding to aerate wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurlyBrew

Reaction score
Is it necessary to use an In-Line Sanitary Filter when using an oxygen tank from a welding kit, or should I just stick with the micron filter only? I've seen oxygen kits that do and do not use these sanitary filters. I would hate to infect a beer when aerating with a tank that was filled who knows when/where.

I use welding oxygen with no filter. No problems yet, but then again, I'm new.
I do sanitize my oxygen wand and hose though.

I use the small bottles for welding from the hardware store. No filter, no problems. Been doing it this way for about three years and a few hundred gallons of brew.

Last time I was at the gas place I asked about the difference between their medical grade oxygen and the regular stuff. They said it's exactly the same only they have to test it to prove it meets the medical standards. If its good enough to breathe I'd think it'd be okay to use without a filter. I haven't had any problems at all with it.

I'm sure there is more to a medical oxygen setup than a tank and a mask, but if there were that many contaminants to begin with I don't think they'd sell it - even with a filter. Just my 2 cents though.

I'm sure there is more to a medical oxygen setup than a tank and a mask, but if there were that many contaminants to begin with I don't think they'd sell it - even with a filter. Just my 2 cents though.

I work in the medical industry. As far as I know, there's no filter in line on a tank. Not the ones used in the field or that COPDer's haul around. It's the tank, regulator, mask/nasal cannula. In the hospital, they use filtered air in the rooms, but we also use the same tanks as in the field when doing in hospital transports with no filter.

Nubster said:
I work in the medical industry. As far as I know, there's no filter in line on a tank. Not the ones used in the field or that COPDer's haul around. It's the tank, regulator, mask/nasal cannula. In the hospital, they use filtered air in the rooms, but we also use the same tanks as in the field when doing in hospital transports with no filter.

Very interesting. Good thing I never spent money on a filter!

Any of you guys use something to weigh down your micron filter? I've heard it has a hard time staying in place

The tanks used in the medical field are “medical grade” O2. Welding tanks are “industrial grade”. Medical grade O2 is regulated and tested to ensure there is no contaminants in it (hence no need for a filter). Oil is the largest contaminant in industrial gases, Industrial grade O2 doesn't have this regulation. So it can contain the contaminants.
Should you use a filter with industrial O2? Probably not. Most manufacturers of medical grade O2 produce industrial O2, and vice versa. They don't use a separate line to produce the industrial O2 – same gas, different tanks. Then they have the medical grade stuff tested and mark the price up as a result. Very few industrial tanks, produced by a large name gas company, will have contaminants.
How do you know your industrial tank has oil? Well, there's no good way without a lab test. But run some air through the stone while it's dry (don't immerse it in anything). Feel it. Does is feel oily? No? Then you are probably good to go. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the replies. My dad has had a welding kit this whole time and I never even thought of using it to aerate beer until now. I had been shaking the beer to aerate. Hopefully this will help the beer attenuate a little bit more. Cheers!

Back