Testing Star San

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I feel like I go through a lot of Star San and would like to know how I can test my mixed solution before using it to insure it works if it wasn't mixed fresh?

I mix it, then seal it in a bucket and usually use for that week or less then remix. I'd like to know if it's still good before pouring it out.

It's PH based, but not sure how to test the PH.

It's definitely worth using distilled water when mixing up a new batch of Star San. Then once it goes somewhat cloudy it's time to pitch it.

But if you'd really like to know if it's good with some greater accuracy, then you'll have to invest in a cheap ($30) pH meter and test it. If it's below 3.5, then you're okay. Test strips aren't very accurate, so I'd advise against using them.

I'd advise that you invest in a better pH meter (around $80) and get a meter that can read in the hundredths (x.xx.) You could use that pH meter for testing the pH of your mashes as well as guaranteeing your Star San is still good.

I bought the cheap pH meter first and it only read into the tenths (x.x). It was only accurate to plus or minus .3, so if the meter was reading 3.5, then the pH could have been anywhere from 3.2 to 3.8. That's not accurate enough for our purposes. Money wasted but lesson learned.

Back