Irish Red Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billf2112

Reaction score
I have put together a partial mash red ale recipe. I have gathered information from other recipes and tuned to my likings. Looking for input from others who may have brewed a similar beer.

5 Gallon Batch
3 Gallon Boil

3.3 Light Malt Extract
6# British Two Row (mashed at 160)
4 ounces Roasted Barley (mashed)
8 ounces Crystal 120°L (mashed)
1.5 ounce Kent Goldings boiled 30 mins
.5 ounce Fuggles boiled 15 mins
1 teaspoon Irish Moss boiled 15 mins

Yeast: Wyeast 1084

Predictions:

Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.015
Color: 17 SRM
Bitterness: 19 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 4.7%

Thanks for your input

Your Mash temp is too high. You'll want to mash at 153. Not sure why you're only adding hops at 30 minutes, I'd cut back the amount and do a full 60 minute bittering, sometimes you can get a different type of hop flavor at the 30 minute, and the beer will have a more stable bitterness to it if you use a 60 minute addition. Also, It looks like your SRM is going to be more brown than red... just from personal experience, you want it to be around 12-13 to get a good red color. So here's an adjustment to the grain bill I would suggest.

6 LB Marris Otter
.08 lb Roasted Barley (300L)
.31 lb Crystal 120
.31 lb Crystal 40

3.3lb Light LME

I'd cut back on the roasted barley and pull back some of the hops to 60 min. You'll get a richer, more toffee-like flavor from the c120 than say a c60. This is fine as long as it's what you are going for.

I also agree about mashing lower

I made this last week with the grain switches suggested. It came out brown. Maybe some carared might be a good idea.

Back