Should I adjust bottle sugar to avoid bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So i brewed a imperial stout about a month ago and hit about 1.095. Recipe's OG was suppose to be around 1.86 and I raised the grain bill a bit and the OG was about 1.095. FG only went down to 1.033 instead of the 1.023 the recipe called for.. If i bottle and since it is a good chunk off of the FG goal, should i cut the bottling sugar down a bit to avoid bottle bombs or should i be fine with normal sugar amount for this style?
I usually keg and don't bottle a lot so I wanted to make sure.
Also, for future reference, IF i don't need to worry about it in this case, when would I want to worry about it?

Thanks

The reason your FG is high is because the yeast ran out of fermentable sugars, but there are still more complex sugars around (from specialty grains or just from mash inefficiency). Assuming you let your fermentation go for long enough (2-3 weeks minimum) and that you have taken several daily hydrometer readings to be sure the FG isn't still dropping, there's nothing left for the yeast to eat. Adding the normal amount of priming sugar will be the same as if you had hit your target FG.

Use normal amount of sugar, assuming it's done fermneting. When the beer is fermented out, there's nothing left for the yeast to eat. You give it sugar when bottling, so the yeast has something to eat and make CO2. But if your beer isn't done fermenting, then you're likely to get bottle bombs, as the yeast is still eating sugar from the wort in addition to the sugar you're adding for the bottles.

Thanks. Yes, it has gone for about a month now and have taken hydro readings over the past few days and haven't moved.

The op said he raised the grain bill abit. so that's most likely the reason for the higher FG. I say use the normal amount of priming sugar for that style.

I'd be concerned just because you only hit around 65% attenuation and there might be fermentables left.

What was the recipe and did you aerate well and pitch enough yeast?

Back