Mashing Oats - Proper Temperature (2 step or single step)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm0f5

Reaction score
Hey All,

Going to do a first partial mash. I've searched and seen results all over the board. What's the best way to mash Oats (with some 2 row, crystal, chocolate and munich malts)?

Single step mash at ~153 for 60 minutes?

or

Two step mash at ~133 for 30 and ~153 for 60?

The single step seems easier, but not sure if Oats need the protein rest?

Thanks for your help,
Tim

I have used oats successfully with a single step mash using "Quick Oats" (the cooks in 1 minute kind). From what I've read on here, the quick oats avoid the need for any additional mash steps or cereal cooking. Pre-gelatinized, I believe is the term for it as best as I can recall.

Also, giving the oats a brief toasting in the oven can really help the aroma/flavor you get from them.

Cheers!

As was stated by Jbear, quick oats or flaked oats are already "gelatinized" when they go through the rolling process. However, I still do a cereal mash before adding them to my main mash. First I toast the oats at 300F for 30 minutes for some nuttiness. Next I add the oats to 3-4 quarts of water per pound with .5-1lb pale malt and slowly heat to 113F and hold for 10-15 minutes. Then I stir and slowly raise the temp to 150-155 and hold for 10-15 minutes. Then I boil that for 15 minutes and add to the mash.

Thanks all!

That's exactly what I was looking for. The recipe calls for 1 lb of flaked oats with 1 lb of 2-row (plus some crystal, chocolate and munich). Total is 4.375 lbs of grain. I'll just throw it all in a grain bag with about 1.5-2gals and mash as above.

Thanks!
-Tim

Latest posts

Back