Bayou Classic 44-QT Stainless Steel Stockpot w/spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GumboYaYa

Reaction score
A buddy of mine just forwarded this link to me he found on Deals.Woot!
http://www.whoaday.com/

They're selling Bayou Classic 36-QT and 44-QT stainless steel stockpot w/spigot.

I've checked around and they're by far the cheapest here. Would like some feedback if any one has used Bayou Classic stockpots before I purchase.

Many thanks.

I was looking at that myself this morning... My concern with it was the placement of the spigot. In the pictures it looks like the spigot extends down past the bottom of the pot -meaning that when I set it down in the sink/on the stove/in the cabinet it might be resting on the spigot and damaging it.

Anyone know for sure either way?

Slurm I just called their customer service and they said the spigot is raised about a 1/2 inch so that it doesn't hit the counter and damage the spigot when placed on counter.

I've brewed 3 times with mine and I like it. The pot is sturdy and the spigot is really handy.

The only down side is the spigot isn't very well made. The port doesn't match up correctly, so you only get about half the flow you should be getting, but it does aerate the beer nicely. It works fine for now, but I might switch out the spigot with a stainless ball valve.

It's by far the best value you can find.

If you go to the bayou classic website, you can actually pick this up for $103 + $5 shipping, which is a couple bucks cheaper than the advertised special (which seems to be over now). It doesn't include the steamer/fryer basket, but who cares?

For anyone that has one of these, does it seem that the spigot could be taken off and replaced with a ball valve? I've been eyeing this for a couple days now, but I'm very dubious of the included faucet. If I knew I could swap it out, I'd definitely buy one. I have a 7.5 gallon pot right now, and I'm a little tired of playing the "will it boil over?" game every time I brew.

Thanks for the Tip on these. Not wanting the spigot I orderd the 36qt off amazon for 75. UPS droped it off today and IM really getting excited for my first brew...

I just ordered one of these as well. I could not get Bayou Classic to confirm the thread size. Is it indeed a 1" FPT?

Nice 11g 44qt boil pot! Got mine in today with the steamer basket (BIAB plug n play). Here are some pics. The welded port is indeed a 1" FPT. ;)

Do those baskets hold the grain pretty well? The holes seem pretty big. I'd like to use the basket instead of a grain bag for mashing.

Was looking at the 44QT and after a little Googling also found it at Living Direct for $127.50 with free shipping. Says it comes with basket, spigot and lid, too. It's $155 on the Whoa Day site.

I've never bought from Living Direct before, though ...

Just bought one of these today from the LHBS althought mine's just the pot. I plan to drill a couple holes with a step bit and add a stainless ball valve and thermometer. Seems like a sturdy pot for the money IMO.

The basket would also keep the bag off the bottom of the pot during reheats.

Take sammy33's before...

...my after:
BIAB_Kettle_002.jpg

The welded fitting for the spigot is perfect for an element.

brewinsam - That looks awesome!

I still am working on getting my burner so I have not even brewed with mine yet. I am also still in brewing exile since I was banned from the stove by my SWMBO.

I just won a 36qt with spigot off eBay for $65! I too was using a 30qt alum and had to be johnny on the spot to prevent boil overs every batch. I am so looking forward to the extra freeboard.

If you put in an element into the welded port...can you still put in the inner basket? How much free space is there underneath the basket?

Do you guys know if it's possible to somehow hook up tubing to the spigot. After my boil I would rather not have my wort draining from my boil kettle to my fermenter without tubing.

Thanks.

I just won a 36qt with spigot off eBay for $65! I too was using a 30qt alum and had to be johnny on the spot to prevent boil overs every batch. I am so looking forward to the extra freeboard.

30 qt. + 6 drops of Fermcap-S = no boilovers.

Do you guys know if it's possible to somehow hook up tubing to the spigot. After my boil I would rather not have my wort draining from my boil kettle to my fermenter without tubing.

Thanks.

While I think you could just get some tubing on there and put a wire hose clamp, I'd replace it if I were planning on using it as my main drainage point.

Do something like sammy33:
5590573279_76084a04a3.jpg

I think he got his fittings at bargainfittings.com

How well does the element screw in? I have heard that the ports are a different type of thread and not ideal. Have there been any leaks with anyone who has done this yet with an element?

Last week I purchased the 44 qt Bayou Classic (no spigot) from Amazon for ~$71. I ordered, a 3pc stainless ball valve, bulkhead kit, thermometer, and sight glass from http://bargainfittings.com, for around $100. I'm pretty satisfied with this deal, just playing the waiting game now to recieve my new toys.

Take sammy33's before...

...my after:
BIAB_Kettle_002.jpg

The welded fitting for the spigot is perfect for an element.

Is that the element on what appears to be the back left of the picture? Also, what size element did you use. I am trying to make the leap in that direction. Thanks

Almost all the elements for brewing are 1" NPS (Straight thread, not Tapered). If you screw an element into that fitting, it should be fine with the help of a fair amount of teflon tape. I have also used silicone sealant in the place of the tape, and it works very well.

Plug n' play is nice if you're going for no frills. But, if you're going electric you may consider soldering more fittings in. It works great and makes a very strong joint. Plus you can set things up exactly as you like without having to pay a welder to do it. :ban:

how did your BC brew kettle work out? I'm thinking of doing the same and installing the temp gauge and valve myself...

Back