Pilsen vs. extra light extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
I thought Pilsen (extract) and extra light were interchangeable. Some recent reading has led me to believe otherwise, but I'm not entirely clear on it. Is there a difference? Are these interchangeable?

Thanks.

As long as you're adjusting your beers with steeping grains, you should be fine. There's a little more CaraPils in the Briess Pilsen Light vs the Golden Light but I haven't had any issues using it in place of the generic Extra Light thus far. Brew On!

Pilsen is a Pilsner style extract that's better suited for German style beers or where Pilsner malt would be used. The Golden appears to be suited for domestic style brews. The two malts should have a different flavor profile but would think they're interchangeable enough to put you in the ballpark.

FWIW, I can't tell a difference between a beer that I've brewed with Pilsen Light and Golden Light. I adjust my steeping grains/extract to get my SRM and other variables where they need to be and it seems to work for me.

Back