Beer AND Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to keg badly.

I haven't approached the SWMBO because she has no interest in this hobby: she doesn't drink beer. However, she is a Diet Coke addict.

If I could get a box of diet coke syrup in a kegerator with my beer, I'd be all set. I guess it needs to mix with water (?) and CO2 to become soda.

Has anyone done this? It would be a political coup if I could pull it off.

I guess it could be done. I have no idea about the syrup. You will want to make sure to get a dual regulator setup. Soda needs to be carbed MUCH higher than beer. That way you can have her soda and your beer on different pressures.

I believe you can get boxes of the syrup at sams club or costco, not sure of the price...

You can get cola extracts (Gnome is good), and cut the sugar in half. Tastes MUCH better than diet cola (yech), and is healthier.

Buy the equipment to have two different pressures, and you are set.

You can get cola extracts (Gnome is good), and cut the sugar in half. Tastes MUCH better than diet cola (yech), and is healthier.

Buy the equipment to have two different pressures, and you are set.

She is one of those that will drink water if they only have Diet Pepsi. No, there is no extract cola in our future (I have done that already, actually).

sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, but, what pressure is soda carbonated at?

You need to carb it at 30 psi at least, otherwise you get no fizz. I have a root beer that I carbed at 30 psi and dispense at 12 psi. It may have lost a little carbonation, but it still tastes tasty.

I keep a keg of soda water on tap @35 psi and 34F. I use sodaclub concentrates, but you should be able to find Diet Coke at restaurant supply stores. My brews are on secondary regulators and live in the 'cellar'.

You will not be able to use a "bag-in-box" in a draught system, as the bag in box is just syrup only. You would need carbonated water.

That would be referred to as a "POST-MIX" system!

You would want to look for the kegs of soft drinks, that has the syrup and water mixed up already, and you just add the CO2.

This is what is called a "PRE-MIX"

You will usually see these at fairs, carnivals etc. They are the ones that use the same "kegs" that we use for beer!

You would want to look for the kegs of soft drinks, that has the syrup and water mixed up already, and you just add the CO2.

This is what is called a "PRE-MIX"

You will usually see these at fairs, carnivals etc. They are the ones that use the same "kegs" that we use for beer!

He's right. You can still get the corny kegs with soda in them. So that way all you need is the equipment to hook up another tap(including another regulator). Bag in a box systems are expensive and we're finding we have to keep adjusting ours at our store. The flavour boxes don't seem very consistent.

I do this all the time. Buy the bag in box (BIB) where ever you find them. They aren't supposed to sell to you unless you have a coke contract but most stores don't care. You'll have to "fix" the BIB valve to flow free. Then you measure out the correct amount of syrup for a 5 gallon batch and mix it in with water to fill your corney. I put it on 35-40 PSI and use a picnic faucet. About 15' of tubing keeps me balanced at 40 degrees. I don't recall the exact amount of syrup I now have a gallon jug marked with the amounts to put in. I think you want about a 5:1 ratio, but since it's your diet coke you can mix it however you like.

I do this all the time. Buy the bag in box (BIB) where ever you find them. They aren't supposed to sell to you unless you have a coke contract but most stores don't care. You'll have to "fix" the BIB valve to flow free. Then you measure out the correct amount of syrup for a 5 gallon batch and mix it in with water to fill your corney. I put it on 35-40 PSI and use a picnic faucet. About 15' of tubing keeps me balanced at 40 degrees. I don't recall the exact amount of syrup I now have a gallon jug marked with the amounts to put in. I think you want about a 5:1 ratio, but since it's your diet coke you can mix it however you like.

True!

If you can get some BIB syrup, you can mix it yourself if you have some cornies!

I think Sam's and Costco sell BIB's, but you might pay a little more!

Another idea is to become good friends with a local restuarant and see if they can order some extra BIB's that you can purchase off of them!

Or if you have the money you could get a full setup and wundergun. I would love one of those.

Back