Strawberry Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctanner

Reaction score
Some friends and I just started home brewing we have a couple brews in various stages (secondary, bottles, etc.) and we want to brew a strawberry ale in our recently empty primary. We are thinking something like a pale ale with strawberry puree added to the secondary. Anyone have and good recipes? We prefer extract (or mostly extract) as we don't have a kettle large enough for full boils yet.

Cheers,
Chris

If I were brewing a fruit beer of (almost) any kind I would go with a wheat beer, 7-8 lbs of wheat extract.
Go lightly on the hops and use a nuetral yeast like the "Chico" strain, both White Labs and Wyeast have a version of this yeast and it is becoming available in a dry form.

Here's an all-grain recipe I've been considering. You can probably substitute the grain with 6 lbs. of plain light DME and steep one lb. of CaraPils (dextrine malt), but otherwise, follow this as is.

I posted this elsewhere for a suggestion on yeast, but maybe I'll post it here...

For the cherry wheat I am going with I was going to run with 3.3 Pale extract, 2# wheat DME, ~0.5# each of crystal 20L and carapils. Will I have enough fermentables for this? I want to keep it light colored up front for when the cherries darken it. Thanks!

I did a raspberry lambic years ago using frozen raspberries that I thawed out, and two small jars of some raspberry essences stuff (don’t recall what it was but it was about 4-5 oz of liquid that got mixed in during the secondary fermentations, I got at my local shop.)

I’m just getting back into brewing so my information may be out of date, but I recall using purees was usually not recommended, whole fruit frozen, then thawed was the way to go. Frozen then thawed so that the water would expand and burst the fruit’s skin allowing for more fruit juices to escape.

Hope I’m not too out of date with this!

Scott that's exactly how I was planning to go with this one. Finding them isn't so easy (was looking for sour cherries--the best I hear for such a recipe). Sanitizing them was the topic of several threads. Though a lambic is a lot different than an ale, do you recall how long you let it sit ont he fruit in the secondary?

Back