Should I wash this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
So I used wyeast 1098 British Ale II yeast on a Surly Furious clone, and it had really poor attenuation. I made a half gallon starter, and fermented a little on the low side, 66 degrees. My OG was 1.058, but should have been 1.062, and my gravity went down to 1.020, and sat there for a week, I brought the temp up to 72 degrees, 3 days ago and it is still only at 1.018. (should have been down to 1.012-1.016). This beer has been in the primary for over 3 weeks now.
One question about the starter, I put it in the fridge overnight, and dumped off half of the "beer" which was still a little cloudy. I did warm it up to room temp before pitching. Kept the cake at the bottom and half of the "beer".
Is this correct, and should I wash this yeast, or pitch it?

You did right on the starter...From my understanding of washing yeast you should not wash them if they have fermented wort around/above 1.060 as the yeast could be stressed.. Its your call though..

Maybe someone else can assist more!!

A British Ale yeast is going to have slightly lower attenuation by design. It gives a richer, maltier profile. I'm sure the beer will be great.

Go ahead and harvest that yeast. I've harvested high gravity yeast with no problems. It should yield enough to pitch 3 or 4 batches and continual harvesting will go a very long way.

Go ahead and harvest that yeast. I've harvested high gravity yeast with no problems.

Same here. I'm too cheap to spend $ on new yeast just because I'm brewing a high-gravity yeast. I've been using the same Belgian abbey yeast for a few years now. same with my Bavarian Lager yeast.

would you also recomend washing of the w3068 yeast? I got a hefe thats about to come out and i might as well save the yeast if its advisable.

Well, washed it today, smelled a little estery, but the high end temp on that yeast is 75 degrees, and it never got there, I don't think. Well, it is only a matter of time until the beer is done to taste how it worked.

would you also recomend washing of the w3068 yeast? I got a hefe thats about to come out and i might as well save the yeast if its advisable.

I say go for it, but I am new to the yeast washing. I don't see any reason to not harvest it.

Back