My dog keeps pissing on my hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I swear if I didn't like him so much he'd be in a shallow grave. The hops are not up yet and they are protected by a large plastic pot with the bottom cut out so I hope there is no damage done. Dose anyone know of a way to get him to piss some where else?

cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it liberally anywhere you don't want them to go, they sniff before they pee and they won't like this smell at all.

The hops might be a good peppered variety too :)

There are yard stakes you can buy that attract a dog for their business so they only go in one specific area. That is... if you're more into encouragement over punishment.

PETA would not approve if my methods to stop this from happening again.

F*** PETA.

Or an electric fence to zap his pee pee when he tinkles.
That **** hurts, Ive tried it once when I was younger.
-Me

Ølbart;1198003 said:
Just exactly what is the problem? Urea should be a good nutrient. I can't imagine it doing much harm.

Dog piss can kill grass. While I don't think it would kill a hop plant, I'd prevent the dog from pissing on them if I could.

This isn't a problem since the crop will be 10-20 feet off the ground and hops will take all the nitrogen you can give them.

feed your dog some of your hops... that will stop his urinary activities just about altogether.:

EDIT: Let it be known before someone get's sensitive... I do not advocate feeding hops to dogs, because it's a complete waste of good hops and dogs. Hops are poisonous to our four-legged friends and should only be used in a last ditch effort to control a neighbors ankle biter.

urine is HORRIBLE for plants in large enough quantities, it contains way too MUCH nitrogen, nitrogen is good for plants, but not in the doses continual urination creates... If the dog just peed once on it, then it would probably be helpful, but if he continues to pee in the same area, it would be lethal to pretty much any plant.

I dont see the problem... we pile rotten food, manure, and dead animal parts on there for fertilizer.

it's not the "gross" factor -it's the fact that urine contains compounds which can kill plants -especialy young and vunerable ones .

you can piss every day on a mature Oak tree for the rest of your life - and nothing happens - but if you piss on an oak seedling everyday for a month - it'll die.

Run a little bit of fencing around your hop plants?

This is exactly what I was going to suggest! Get a little wire fencinging and as many poles as you might need (all fairly cheap at any Home Depot) and simply make the plants out of the pup's reach...unless he lifts his leg REAALLY high. He might get a pretty decent arc going that way.

-Tripod

Make sure they get plenty of water, then the piss should be diluted enough not to do any damage. Shouldn't be much of a problem once they've grown, I'd only woryy when they were still young.

Also a previous post suggest teaching them ti piss on your neighbors yard.... better yet, teach them to piss on MY neighbors yard.

at night, go take a wizz around the yard(away from hops). the dog will re-mark this spot as his. Do this every night for a few weeks till he gets the point. if the lady next door spots you doing this,just smile and wave.

I use big rocks that are a few feet from my plants,he likes to pee on the rock.

and a small wire fence helps.

Yes dog piss will kill them for sure if they pee there all the time. My shepard pissed on my flowering crab everytime he went outside and that tree is now dead and ready for firewood. Like underbelly said, if they continue to pee there just water it after to dilute it. I also read that somewhere as well

at night, go take a wizz around the yard(away from hops). the dog will re-mark this spot as his. Do this every night for a few weeks till he gets the point. if the lady next door spots you doing this,just smile and wave.

... with your HAND, please.

My hops grow outside the electronic fence, so luckily my dogs can't get to them. They do piss on (and destroy) a lot of plants in the garden tho - my wife gets steamed.

Yes dog piss will kill them for sure if they pee there all the time. My shepard pissed on my flowering crab everytime he went outside and that tree is now dead and ready for firewood. Like underbelly said, if they continue to pee there just water it after to dilute it. I also read that somewhere as well

Dogs like to pee where they can already smell there pee. This is why you water it down so they go to other spots where they have been peeing instead.

Dog urine kills grass from nitrogen, salt, and PH damage. I'm sure it can have the same effect on hops or anything else. Water heavily and sprinkle with gypsum from home depot to neutralize. Make sure you use low nitrogen fertilizers so you don't compound the problem.

Back