American Vs British Pint Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

British Vs American Pint Glass

• British

• American

• Neither: German Dimple Stein!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
I like the sleek look of the American pint glass but as far as utility is concerned the British with its bump wins out. I used to think the bump was only for keeping a grip when pissed but it also serves as a rim protector when the glass is tipped.

gotta love the bump....besdies the dimple steins are too heavey so when i get drunk, its a pain to hold onto. Im lazy

I voted British simply because it's what I'm accustomed to. After so many years it just feels right and familiar.

If I'm gonna hold a big one, I want it to be ribbed for my pleasure.

what about the rediculous sam adams glass? Personally i think its a crock
2007_sam-adams-glass.jpg

I'm gonna have to go with the British pint. Why? Because its bigger duh! :D Also, the shape of the glass keeps a better head I think. But either way is fine with me. As long as its full that is. :D

what about the rediculous sam adams glass? Personally i think its a crock

The Sam Adams glasses are quite nice and are the ones I often use for most styles. For porters and stouts I'll use a std. pint. I've lately taken to using a short fat mug for hoppy beers as they really let the aroma out, but hold it in the glass for me to enjoy. I like them better for this style over the SA glasses or an American or Brithish Pint.

I don't think the SA glass is a crock. Glassware is a science in itself, those 'laser etchings' are probably nucleation sites that champagne glasses have.

I am a major noob so I could use some pics of the English v. American (I think I know but just to be sure)

I don't think the SA glass is a crock. Glassware is a science in itself, those 'laser etchings' are probably nucleation sites that champagne glasses have.

honestly i never knew champagne glasses even had nucleation sites. I always figured it was just some dumb PR stunt

I have 4 of the Sam Adam's glasses. They are nice and they do help hold in hop flavor a bit IMO and also they hold the head on top longer than a regular glass but its nothing drastic. Also they are thin so I assume that means easy to break but they were expensive so I am careful with them.

I'm torn.

On the one hand, I like British pint glasses so much that I was sentenced to death over one. No ****. Right there in Heathrow.

On the other, the classic British dimpled pint mug, like this one:

britannia_dimple_mug.jpg
britannia_dimple_mug.jpg
508509.jpg

...is the perfect counterweight for my off-hand when throwing darts. Fingers looped through the handle, holding the mug like a glass. Perfect. Even worked on the QEII a couple of years ago, doing a late-autumn Transatlantic in the heavy North Sea.

Still, picked the pint glass. Stiff upper lip and all that. ;)

Bob

I have 4 of the Sam Adam's glasses. They are nice and they do help hold in hop flavor a bit IMO and also they hold the head on top longer than a regular glass but its nothing drastic. Also they are thin so I assume that means easy to break but they were expensive so I am careful with them.

They are certainly pretty. I'm not being sarcastic. If it makes the beer look more special, then it all helps IMO.

I use an Imperial pint for British styles and an American pint for US styles. I prefer my weiß in a weiß glass, my rich stouts in a snifter, my floral Belgians in a tulip, my large Belgians in a goblet, my Lambics in a champagne flute, my Kölsch is a 0.2L stange, my German lagers in a Maß, my Pilsners and Pilseners in a Pils glass, and special beers in whatever the hell I think makes it the best experience. Yes I love glassware.

The SA glass is a bit over the top. It does work nicely but it is too much marketing and has a gimmicky feel that reeks of unauthenticity. I have 2 and use them occasionally. Actually I kind of like them for Apfelwein for some reason....

EDIT: I drink BMC out of an empty urinal puck (nod of the hat to Evan!)

I use:
British Pub Glass
gw04.jpg

English Pints
And American Pint glasses.

Most of my ales go in one of these 3 depending on my mood and what is clean.

German Pilsner glasses and Belgian tulip glasses see use on occasion with the appropriate style. I avoid the tulip glass if I'm going to have a few as it is more delicate than my other glasses and i am clumsy enough sober.

Craig

I use:
British Pub Glass
gw04.jpg

English Pints
And American Pint glasses.

Most of my ales go in one of these 3 depending on my mood and what is clean.

German Pilsner glasses and Belgian tulip glasses see use on occasion with the appropriate style. I avoid the tulip glass if I'm going to have a few as it is more delicate than my other glasses and i am clumsy enough sober.

Craig

Those have gone out of style big time in the UK. I grew up with them, but I prefer the tall "northern" style.

I also went off the windowed barrel mugs a bit when I got one thrown at me and it landed on my noggin. :( That ain't what beer is about!

I bought two SA glasses as a goof, when I saw them at BevMo for $5 a pop. Turns out, I love them...they are generally my "go-to" glass for draft. For bottles, I match glass size to bottle size. This is especially important for homebrew with yeast in the bottom, as I want to serve the entire bottle in one pour.

For a stout or ESB though, it's got to be a British pint glass. It's an aesthetic factor as much as anything. I like the shape a lot better, and don't like the thick glass on American pints. I've got a dozen or more of the latter, and seldom use them.

Although there is no category for it, my favorite glass is a weizen glass. Sleek and sexy. Although for this one I have to go with the nonic. Sits better in ones hand. The dimpled mug is just plain ugly IMO, but if it has beer in it who am I to turn it down?

since this turned into a best glass ever thread (not the original intent) I'm gonna go with my old Chimay glass. The wide opening is great for aroma, and the stem makes it look regal.

But mine still have the Queen's Crown on them, making them official.

By way of comparison,TimSTi:

This is an American pint glass:

etched_pint_glass.jpg

This is a British pint glass (notice the slight bulge near the rim):

imperial-pint-glass.jpg

This is a dimpled mug:

15382.jpg

The former holds 16 US fluid ounces, which is one US pint or 473mL. The latter two hold 20 imperial fluid ounces, which is an Imperial pint, or 568mL.

If people are talking about a glass not featured in this post, they are officially of-topic.

:D

Make sense now?

Bob

Not unless they also have a line marking the pint level they ain't. If they have no line they are outdated. :)

Well, I pinched my prize example about, oh, five years ago. Maybe I got an outdated one. I have another four which are properly marked.

Also, I was under the impression (delusion?) that the crown was etched at the proper level, making the line unnecessary.

Bob

Well, I pinched my prize example about, oh, five years ago. Maybe I got an outdated one. I have another four which are properly marked.

Also, I was under the impression (delusion?) that the crown was etched at the proper level, making the line unnecessary.

Bob

Maybe not a delusion I dunno. The line was introduced a lot longer than five years ago, so maybe the crown being at pint level is a newer idea?

The crown has been used for centuries. Recently being left off by those who make the glasses in Czech republic, probably as a way to help convince those stubborn Englishmen to give up their imperial measures!

As the article reads, the rest of Europe wants them to adopt the Metric system. Shove off! We still use the imperial system in America too! Although I now have to own two sets of tools to work on my cars...

wow the Brits are killing in this poll! I thought it would be less of a landslide.

Back