How long to let the hops rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
I'm hop bursting with additions at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0 mins. How long after flameout do i let the hops steep before I start cooling? Thanks

I think you should start cooling right after flameout, otherwise, to the hops, you're still boiling (or close enough) after the 0 min addition which would make your 0 min more like a 5 and your 5 more like a 10, etc.

ok...... so 2 completely different responses, but i guess they're both right.... since i'm hop bursting, i guess the few extra ibus wouldn't hurt, it's only at 75 on paper.

If you're doing a hop stand, let wort sit with lid on for 20mins

should i cool it down to any specific temperature to let them steep (i've heard 150F), or just let it stand as is from flame out? thanks

should i cool it down to any specific temperature to let them steep (i've heard 150F), or just let it stand as is from flame out? thanks

From what I've heard is if the wort isn't boiling you're not extracting bitterness, only flavor and aroma but if you wanted to cool it to 180-170 it would'nt hurt.

alane1 said:
From what I've heard is if the wort isn't boiling you're not extracting bitterness, only flavor and aroma but if you wanted to cool it to 180-170 it would'nt hurt.

Sorry, this is wrong. Try making a batch with only a hop stand. Throw hops in after flame out. Let stand 20 minutes. From 1 oz. of 5.5 alpha hops you should get about 20 ibus from this action.

Per the op, I would start chilling right away. That many hops will be very bitter with a hop stand compared to the original recipe.

I would start chilling right away. When it hits about 160 I let it rest for 20 minutes AND do another hop addition. Usually about 1-2 oz for 10 gal. After 20 min the pellets have broken up and won't get jammed up in the pump. I think a whirlpool addition adds another layer of hop complexity.

Sorry, this is wrong. Try making a batch with only a hop stand. Throw hops in after flame out. Let stand 20 minutes. From 1 oz. of 5.5 alpha hops you should get about 20 ibus from this action.

Per the op, I would start chilling right away. That many hops will be very bitter with a hop stand compared to the original recipe.

i don't understand, this is my first time. are you telling me to start chilling right away or do i flameout and let the hops steep without any chilling? If you're saying to chill right away, down to what temp?

Search for beat hop aroma and go to the link at the endof the thread. It explains with testing what to do for what outcome. Sorry I don't have the link handy. I did a hop stand last night for 30min at 180. 2ozs and it will ectract some IBUs and a lot of flavor aroma. 190s more IBUs and 160sjust aroma.

McMalty said:
i don't understand, this is my first time. are you telling me to start chilling right away or do i flameout and let the hops steep without any chilling? If you're saying to chill right away, down to what temp?

Chill right away. All the way down to the temp where you pitch your yeast. 65 degrees.

Back