Halfway fermented maibock, have to move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risa

Reaction score
I'm three weeks into fermenting a maibock, and so far so good... It's racked to secondary, happy at lager temps, and normally I'd just forget about it for another month or so...

BUT

Due to unforseen circumstances, I have to move this week. It's just across town, but there's a substantial layer of sediment that I don't want to disturb. It's also about ten points above it's final gravity, which makes me think that just bottling it is not the best idea. Also, I'm not positive I'll have a great place to lager in my new house that's cold but not freezing. I've also considered racking it again, but I've only got a plastic fermenter to move it into (it's already in my only glass carboy) and I'm worried about it picking up off flavors from finishing up the lager process in plastic.

Any advice, thoughts, or prior semi-relevant experiences would be much appreciated!

if you kick up the sediment it will fall right back down again so i would just move it to the new place and keep it cold. what i wouldn't do it move into another fermentor unless it's flushed with CO2 gas first.

Thanks, I'd just worried about mixing the dead yeast into the beer and not about oxidation. Looks like a gentle trip across town is in order...

the yeast are probably not dead just dormant. you could use that same yeast to make another maibock or whatever other beer the yeast is appropriate for, pitch into some fresh wort and off you go.

Plus, if it is indeed not through with fermenting the rousing of that dormant yeast ought to guarantee success. Don't worry about things you can't change, you must move, so load that puppy up and prepare for some awesome brew!

Back