Malt conditioning... It works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopOnHops

Reaction score
So u tried milling my own grains a few batches ago, it turned out terrible. My mill gave an inconsistent crush and the hulls were totally shredded. I got a stuck sparge and ultra low efficiency. I was using the crappiest corona mill possible btw...

I still had one batch of grain left and decided to try malt conditioning... OH MY GOD. Somehow the crush seems consistent, only the endosperm is crushed finely and the hulls are in very good shape. I'm brewing today but I hope to have a good sparge and possibly better efficiency than I got from the LHBS mill... Fingers crossed

Conditioning malt is one of the BEST things you can do to get a solid efficiency AND guard a little bit against stuck sparges. I don't know why more people don't do it.

Yup, adds about 10 minutes the night before my brew. Saves at least 1/2 an hour during my first runoff and then the batch sparge. I don't see myself ever not conditioning the grain.

I don't condition my malt and I get 89% efficiency, crush the s#!t outta my grains with my BC, and never have issues with runoff/stuck sparges, even with wits, rye ales etc. Very glad it helps those who need it! :mug:

Back