Too Much Cinnamon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I made an Apple Mead (i think they call it something else...but it was made from Honey so I call it Mead) and added a few cinnamon sticks to the 5.5G primary.

Now granted I started this last year around this time, and just remembered it (it was sitting in the back of the closet) and now the cinnamon is overwhelming.

I was hoping to get this up and bottled for X-Mas, but now I have to fix the Cinnamon taste.

First thoughts were to mix in some allspice and nutmeg in hopes of creating a more "Apple Pie" taste...but I'm not sure if that will work.

Thoughts/Suggestions/Ideas?

Aside from the overwhelming Cinny, it tastes pretty good...so I'd hate to lose it.

Adding more spice to it might make it even worse. The spice flavor will fade with time. You might just try getting it off the cin sticks and riding it out.

Took me almost 3 months to get the cinnamon taste to mellow in my lager...time will heal it. It was fantastic in the end

Would a hint of vanilla compliment the flavor?

My last batch of pumpkin ale that I entered into an October competition had wayyyyy too much cinnamon and all-spice. I brewed it back in June, so I hoped it would mellow before the competition entry date in mid October. It may have mellowed a bit, but was still overpowering and unbalanced.

The day before I had to enter the competition, I added a capful of grocery store vanilla extract (to a tad under 5.0 gallons), and it SIGNIFICANTLY mellowed out the cinnamon/allspice while adding only a very subtle vanilla flavor. Adding that one variable luckily put everything back into relative balance instantly.

Scored a 35 and took 2nd place in the pumpkin ale category in the small competition (about 40 entires in 5 categories).

That will definitely help in short order if you think a subtle vanilla will fit with the Apple Mead.

Brew something else for xmas. Time can heal some overspiced beers -- but by no means all of them. I've brewed two overspiced Christmas beers: after aging the less-spiced of the two for 2.5 years the beer is still overspiced. Take good notes and always learn from the mistakes. Good luck.

I wouldn't add more spice...that will likely just complicate the problem. Either age it (and it might take a couple years) or consider brewing up another batch and blending. Either way I think you'll have to come up with a different plan for Christmas.

Back