6-Gal Fermentation Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys quick question:

I have the opportunity to grab some 6gal Food grade plastic buckets for fermentation. Is there any real difference between a 6 & 6.5gal for fermenting?

Any reason I shouldn't grab them?

I'd say the difference should be right around a half gallon. :mug: Get them, use a blow off tube as suggested above and be happy!

On the bottom of my "6.5" gallon Brewer's Best bucket it says 6 gallons. I've also measured out 6 gallons and it comes out to the last "extrusion line" on the inside or whatever you want to call it, so probably a 1/2 gallon head space. I'm pretty sure we're all using 6 gallon buckets unless I'm the victim of some cruel conspiracy.

Hey guys quick question:

I have the opportunity to grab some 6gal Food grade plastic buckets for fermentation. Is there any real difference between a 6 & 6.5gal for fermenting?

Any reason I shouldn't grab them?

Where are you getting them? Maybe the equivalent source exists near others of us!

phenry said:
On the bottom of my "6.5" gallon Brewer's Best bucket it says 6 gallons. I've also measured out 6 gallons and it comes out to the last "extrusion line" on the inside or whatever you want to call it, so probably a 1/2 gallon head space. I'm pretty sure we're all using 6 gallon buckets unless I'm the victim of some cruel conspiracy.

5 gallon buckets are technically 5.5 gallons. Carboys are that way too. I dunno. Anyway I ferment in the 5 gallon ones with a blow off tube. Moving over to the 6 tho.

Are they used? A buddy of mine tried to re-use old pickle buckets that were sent (filled with pickles) to the restaraunt for brewing....The brew did not turn out so well....

wolfstar said:
Are they used? A buddy of mine tried to re-use old pickle buckets that were sent (filled with pickles) to the restaraunt for brewing....The brew did not turn out so well....

I use a pickle bucket for bottling. I wouldn't ferment in one. Even though I haven't picked up flavors from the pickle I'll probably be getting rid of that bucket soon.

Latest posts

Back