Drilling though the side of my fridge(manual link included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
I have this fridge The instruction manuals are available in that link, do you think it is okay to drill on the right side of the fridge part of it? I want to have a hole to run about 3 beer lines through...

Difficult to say. Can't really tell where the refrigeration lines or electrical lines run after examining the owner's manual & wiring diagrams.

I've converted two fridges and always ran the taps out the front and the CO2 lines into the side.

Why only three beer lines? Can't this fridge hold 4 kegs?

I wouldn't waste precious fridge space on CO2 cylinders like a lot of folks do. Mount the tank and the manifold on the OUTSIDE of the fridge and run the CO2 lines through the side. Again, have to be certain we're not drilling into freon lines or electrical wiring.

Drill a small 1/8" hole in the location where you want your taps just thru the frig side not drilling in deep. Take a piece of stiff wire or welding rod bent 90* degrees 4-5" from the end. Feel around inside the frig thru the hole you should feel any cooling lines if they're there, wires you can push to the side. If clear start your drilling for the taps. Even if a freon line is in the way they can be pushed or bent out of the way they are soft. Add a brass plate something like 1/8"x 4" x 16" long. Heavy bevel the edges all around and install with short brass countersink screws flush mounted. Brass will add a nice warm color behind your taps be it 4 or 6 taps. As posted above you should have the room for 4 corny's hence 4 taps with the Co2 bottle outside thru the back.

Question; why not just place the taps on the door front? Sure would look better besides easy access.

I should better explain. I am going to run beer lines about 4 feet to run to my bar from the fridge. So I am going through the side of the fridge to get the lines out. I am only doing three for now because I feel that is all I want/need on tap, it does hold 4 and the C02, the c02 will be staying in the fridge. Thanks

Yours is like mine the condenser is in the freezer and there are no coils on the side.At least that is what it looks to be from the parts breakdown.

Yours is like mine the condenser is in the freezer and there are no coils on the side.At least that is what it looks to be from the parts breakdown.

I did what you are planning. I was pretty sure there were no coils in the side wall, as they are obvious on the back of the unit. Just in case anyway, I did as others suggested and drilled a small hole and then used an ice pick to feel around just to make sure. There are a couple picture of my bar build in my gallery.

Thanks for all the advice, tomorrow is the big day, okay maybe wednesday :) I am going to drill into the fridge and hopefully I didn't just waste 200 bucks on a new fridge :).

Some refrigerators have the heat exchanger built into the sides. If this is the case the sides get hot when the fridge is cooling. You can not drill through the sides of the foregoing is the case or you will drill through this exchanger and ruin the fridge. You can come out the back or bottom if nothing feels hot there.

Back