what style is this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
I had 2 pounds of plain light DME Laying around so I went down to the home brew store and bough a pack of yeast and 1 oz of hops. It's just kind of an experiment with spare stuff i had laying around. so I was wondering what style it falls in. here's the recipe

2 Gallon batch (I usually do 5g batches but this is an experiment)

2lbs Muntons plain light DME
1lb clover honey
1oz Liberty hops 3.7 ibu
1 Pack Safale 05 Yeast

2 Gallon boil
60 minute boil
60 minutes: add 1/2 oz liberty hops
30 minutes add 2lbs DME and 1/2 oz liberty hops
15 minutes add 1lb Clover honey
SG: 1.062
FG: Dunno yet!
It might be weird tasting but i don"t know.
What style of beer does it fall under??

With a gravity of 1.062 and almost no hops bitterness, I'm not thinking it falls into a strict style. I'm guessing it'll taste cidery, it'll be dry, and the body will be really light.

I guess it'd sort of be like a cream ale?

With a gravity of 1.062 and almost no hops bitterness, I'm not thinking it falls into a strict style. I'm guessing it'll taste cidery, it'll be dry, and the body will be really light.

I guess it'd sort of be like a cream ale?

well it is a 2 gallon batch though i was thinking the hope could show up a bit
wonder if i should dry hop it?

LOL, It's been in the primary 6 hours and it's bubbling like crazy. Weird too because it's in a 7 gallon plastic fermenter and it's only a 2 gallon batch. Was wondering if that was going to be a problem being such little liquid in such a big vessel. I was going to put it in a 5 gallon glass carboy but i hate having to siphon out some to take a reading. Still wondering if I'll bother to put it in a secondary.

I would call it a braggot, a little light on the honey but more than enough to move it there. The honey in that concentration will extend the fermentation and it will taste very light but you had enough hops there to make it very pronounced on a two gallon batch.
If I'm pushed I will take a pre-hopped (light) Coopers can, add 4 to 5 lbs of honey and brew it up, (Using other yeast). Always comes out really great.
Hope yours does also.

Cool, I'll update on how long it takes to ferment. I was wondering if it would take longer to ferment since i added the honey. We will see. Hopefully it will be ready to bottle in a month.

Wow okay, I took a reading today It's been in the fermenter one week. today it read 1.012 but It seems to be fermenting still so I'm going to wait a couple days and do another reading. SG was 1.062 so this stuff is going to be potent. I took a taste too it wasn't bad at all. very strong honey taste it seems light. it's a very strange brew.

ok, It's been in the bottle over 2 weeks so i figured i would throw one in the fridge and give it a try....Pours a clear gold. Minimal head..not quite fully carbed but there are bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass. tastes kinda nice! Very dry finish yet some decent bitter from the hops. I like it. I'll try another in 2 weeks. Cant taste the honey at all though. Came out to be 8%

Gee, I might have to try this... sounds like something my wife might drink.

just tried another one but this time i left it in the fridge 2 days. it's really tasty. i'll open another on Xmas day!

+1 on the bragot but it doesnt really fall into the catagory. Because the honey and the dme is going to ferment almost completly your going to be left with a very thin beer. You can try adding malodextrine next time if you want to bump up mouthfeel or steep some grains. Honey needs to be in high concentrations to be palatable in ur brew because its so highly fermentable. Nice going though- glad it turned out.

Back