explosive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcoast4130

Reaction score
alright so I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but the only threads i could find didn't exactly describe what has happened to me. I brewed a belgian blonde on sunday it has been fermenting in a 6 gallon bottling bucket that i use for my primary fermentation, so i go and check on it this morning and what do you know the whole top of the bucket is laying on the floor next to the bucket. I read in other post that people have had their airlocks blow off and that this is fine because of co2 production keeping the nasties out. My question is, obviously do i have a higher risk of infection because the whole top was open? obviously the only way to find out will be to try it in the coming weeks but i was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them without infection. I guess the time has come to get a 6 gallon carboy with a blow off rig. thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

Kyle

I think you will be fine (you did sanitize the lid before you knocked it back on?) It happens a lot more than you would think,and most of the time the beer turns out fine, and you are correct, a 6 gallon carboy and 1 inch ID blowoff hose is the best way to prevent the problem you had, good luck,and brew on bro.:mug:

LMAO you guys are funny, so it seems the general consensus is that my beer will be fine. If i werent kegging then said labels would have to be made, i will still refer to it as the toppless blonde bombshell :tank:. Thanks for the reassurence i was bummed since this is my first brew in quite some time and was looking forward to having a brew on tap. To answer your question(jagg)the top was sanitized and put back on and it pretty much started bubbling away within 10 mins. Thanks again.

Kyle

LMAO you guys are funny, so it seems the general consensus is that my beer will be fine. If i werent kegging then said labels would have to be made, i will still refer to it as the toppless blonde bombshell :tank:. Thanks for the reassurence i was bummed since this is my first brew in quite some time and was looking forward to having a brew on tap. To answer your question(jagg)the top was sanitized and put back on and it pretty much started bubbling away within 10 mins. Thanks again.

Kyle
I think you are good to go my friend:rockin:

Kyle

You could always rig a tap handle to take different labels since you won't be able to make labels for bottles.

Back