Ugggh. Can anyone at Kodak write code that works?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Kodak AiO5100 printer/scanner/copier and I'll be damned if just once they issue an update that actually works.

Granted they don't update very often but, they update often enough that I forget the troubles I had with the last update.

I turn off all of my security features firewall, spamblocker. pop up blocker, spyware blocker, etc... start up the update and goes well til it gets to the install portion and then bam, nothing. After an hour or so of no progress I end up shutting down the install process, removing the software, and have to search for Kodaks clean utility and I'll be damned if that doesn't hang up too.

In the end the new version won't install because old files are in the way that the dang clean utility can't seem to get rid of. So I get on the line with their code monkeys in bangladesh, I think his name was literally Ghandi and what does he suggest?

To remove the software and run the clean utility. Arrrgh! When I explain what I have done what does he ask "Do you have any firewalls running" etc...

****, ****, damn, piss, poo

I feel your pain... I found the best option is to delete their software and buy a card reader... Unfortunately for you that doesn't work for the printer and other hardware...

My camera does take good pictures though...

I don't even use their camera software. I am talking just the software for the printer. The printer actually does a good job of making photo's and it scans nicely too.

If you can install the software to run it.

I suppose it's a good thing I don't have a Kodak camera. Cause then I might be compelled to use that software too.

They try to make you... But a card reader gets around that... It's a pain when you are in someone elses home (with no card reader) and they want a copy of the pics as you can't get them without the software... It's not even a standard jack so you'd need their cable too..

I use a card reader at home but, my Canon does have the ability to upload pictures using a standard windows wizard via USB. So, that's a plus. I just got tired of having to connect the camera and have it on while it uploads.

that's hilarious.

why?

I work for a scanner software company, like, expensive scanners. Kodak's top of the line scanners go through phases where the drivers cause issues. Examples: can't switch to color scanning and back to black and white without rebooting the computer and scanner - the next version that fixed that broke duplex (double-sided) scanning - and most of the time a Kodak scanner won't wake-up from power saving mode, so you have to reboot it.

Fantastic.

Chat support was useless and extremely frustrating.

Eventually, I forced the install through by rebooting in "Safe Mode with Networking". I still had some issues gettiing the older version cleaned up and the new version installe but was able to work through.

This is the 3rd update I have attempted since buying the AiO5100 - All In One - Printer/Scanner/Copier and I hope I have my brain in tact when the next one comes so I will remember to NOT INSTALL the new updates. If it ain't broke.........

I have a Kodak digital camera & finally tossed it. Tried a firmware upgrade to fix a problem & even though their software claimed the update took, the camera was unusable and "out of warranty". Their photo editing software never worked well either.

Back