How much have you spent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care if it's brewing, building cars, guns,reloading or whatever your hobby.
You don't keep track of the cost!! It starts to make less sense if you do.

Someone asked me this question this weekend. My answer is pretty much the same one I give when I am asked about the gas mileage of my truck. I don't know and I don't care. If I tried to figure either out, I would just cry.

3 Keg propane system with march pumps approx $1500
Beverage Air Kegerator $2400
Misc hoses and fittings $400
2 Blichmann fermenators $1700
15 Kornie Kegs $600
Fermentation closet with auto ac and heat, custom. $400
Misc gear $150

Beer on tap in my Cave. Worth every penny. :mug:

Brew Stand $1000
3 keggles $250
Old cooler mashtun $50
Old burner $25
Keezer with 3 taps, regulator, Love, tank, SS drip pan $450
Soda kegs $160
grain mill $150
Misc brewing stuff (oxygenation, buckets, refractometer, etc) $400
Refinishing basement which includes a custom built bar, kegerator closet and 4 taps $25,000

I'm at 15 batches since march, last i checked i'm at almost 6k. bad thing is that i'm still doing Biab 5 gallon batches but i have almost everything i need for my 8 tap keezer, brew stand, and i'm working on going electric.

Probably around 1500-2000. That includes my setup, brews in the past, my kegerator/keg setup, keggle and mash tun, stand, etc. Also including the sink/workspcace in my "brewroom", and pieces/parts for all brewing related projects. Would do it all again without hesitation.

Wow. talk about a blast from the past thread.

... I still refuse to answer. Although I include my entire pub in the costs.

Fck... without the pub I still refuse to answer.

Honestly I haven't kept track. I went through a propane phase. I adapted most of that for use in a pump driven electric rig with HERMS to avoid brewing outside in temperature flirting with 0*F or below. I have a 4 tap kegerator, with a nice SS tower. I would think over 2g in hardware easy. I am getting ready to add a motorized mill to the operation and I predict a move in the future, which may mean re-imagining the brewery (ventilation, plumbing routing, space consideration, ect) but that is a good thing, I have learned what works and what doesn't in my first go through.

If the lady friend is asking about $100, simcoe is $2 a pound, and my buddies dad hands out 2-row like candy.

Anybody else, more then I care to admit so far

Almost nothing so far. I write descriptions and articles to HBS's website and they give me stuff in exchange.
Last 8 brews cost me 10 hours of my time so I think it's a good deal. Plus I got other brewing stuff too.

I'm probably around $1000-$2000. Craigslist and trades have kept prices down. That's including extract kits and grains, hops and yeast etc. etc.

Probably somewhere around $2000-$3000. Just a simple setup. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390819358.477615.jpg
Kegs and all. A lot more than originally planned. Was thinking under $500 to start out but blew that out of the water after week 3. Will prob have another $2000 in a year or two. Hopefully going electric and bigger. Beer is just too good to not spend money on.

Bored on a Sunday so sorry for bumping an old thread...

Ordered a 10 gallon Bayou Classic but was sent the 16 gallon: $165
10 gallon rubbermaid cooler: $45
Mash tun parts: $35
Siphon, tubing, fermenting buckets, capper, hydrometer, etc: $140
SQ14 burner: $55
Temp control: $45 (free fermenting fridge luckily)
Most recent odds and ends: $45
2000ml flask: $25

Total: ~$550

Looking to get a second pot for sparge water and more odds and ends parts. I would say I have/will spend around $700 total for all of pieces to brew. When I go to keg I will spend more...

A lot!

First starter kit from NB $145

Blichman burner and stand $175

Spike Kettle $300

Wort chiller $50

Mash tun build $85

Second kettle, 15 gallon blichman $350

Better bottle $35

Blichman brew stand, with second burner, shelf and pump $900

2 spiedel fermentors $100

Misc. hoses and clamps $100

6 kegs, 2 c02 tanks, 2 regulators $500

Refractometer, grain mill $200

20 gallon blichman $465

MoreBeer heated cooled conicle $2300

And, lots of ingredients and other small misc items. Quite a few books as well. Started brewing a bit over a year ago. Ouch!!!!

I'd say about 6 grand

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

SHMBO and I agreed NOT to add it up! She enjoys this as much as i do so we just write it off as a mutual hobby!

But if i had to guess it would pay for a very nice vacation!

I really don't think I'm at that much compaired to the amount of stuff I have. I am set up for all grain and have a keezer with 4 Taps and 4 Kegs. If I was to pick a number I'd say 1700 or less.

Hmmmm let me see if I can add this up

1. Kit (included bucket, carboy, hydrometer, thermometer,siphon, tubing, capper) - approx $120 (austinhomebrew but on sale HERE) - WIFE purchased for MS degree graduation

2. Amazon Prime Order (Scale, Pot, Lid, BETTER thermometer) -$97
3. Amazon Prime Order (Graduated Cylinder) - $7
4. CampChef Dual 30K BTU Burner Grill (also will be used for summer grilling) - $80
5. First Brew (Lager Recipe) LHBS = $23
6. Second Brew (Golden Mistress + supplies(airlocks, bottle brush, Star San, Bottle Draining tree)) from LabelPeelers = $72
7. Third Brew (Alagash Clone ingedrients) LabelPeelers = $42
8. Craigslist Purchase - Glass Carboy, 2 (12pk 22oz Bottles), Carboy Brush, Bucket - $35

Grand total = $356

The mods should delete this thread and we will never speak of this again. IMO, brewing
is like driving a Ferrari; you don't even look at the price of gas.

ugh... this is going to scare the bejeesus out of me, but i'll try.

1st setup with bottles, buckets, etc, $140?
first pot, 7.5 gallons = 40
2 kegs = 90
--- false bottoms and weldless valves and thermos for each = 150
1 5g mash tun = 60
refractometer = 60
propane burners = 160
propane tank = 20? (my dad gave me his old one, i just exchanged it)
chugger pump = 100
1st chest freezer for keezer and temp controller = 210
2nd chest freezer for keezer (1st was too big after i moved) = 110
2 perlick tap setups = 80
first kegging setup = 200
3 extra kegs = 100
better bottles and carboys = 100
wine fridge for fermentation chamber = 90
electrical setup = around 300, possibly higher, but i can't recall
other stuff has been gifts and such and odds and ends that i cannot remember (corking setup for belgians, numerous thermometers, etc)

sitting around 2g's, and this has been ongoing since 2010... so all in all, lets say 500 bucks a year, not bad for a hobby with this much pleasure! if i had more cash, i'd willingly spend way more!

I'll never add it up to find out. First, I really don't want to know. Second, if I put the number in a public forum, and my wife ever finds out, I'm toast. :D

This ^ .....Some things were impossible to hide, like when I bought a mini fridge and converted it to a kegeraror. All though that was only an investment of about $350.

Latest posts

Back