Possible blow off with blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sejasba

Reaction score
I've got an imperial stout fermenting now, with blow off tube. Krausen is going up through the tube, but it's also leaking/bubbling a bit from the bucket lid while making a crazy sound like it'll explode. Would it be possible to have a blow out even with the blow off tube?? Meaning, could the lid still blow off? I figured not, but never seen a fermentation like this before.

This wouldn't happen to be the imp stout from northern brewer, would it? That's a very...energetic kit. :D I've had the same problem with it, had to put the blow off reservoir in a pan to catch the drippings.

As long as you've got movement, I think you'll be fine. The only thing I'd be worried about is infection, but I don't think that's a huge concern. Especially if you occasionally clean that up and sanitize the area.

Folks wiser than I might want to chime in, but I think you'll be fine.

Yep, it's the NB imperial stout. The blow off tube is submerged in what was star san solution in a gallon jug... which now looks like a half gallon of diarrhea!

Leaving town on Friday, so the plan was for the aggressive fermentation to be over by Thursday-ish, then remove the blow off tube and put the airlock back on.

Yep, it's the NB imperial stout. The blow off tube is submerged in what was star san solution in a gallon jug... which now looks like a half gallon of diarrhea!

Leaving town on Friday, so the plan was for the aggressive fermentation to be over by Thursday-ish, then remove the blow off tube and put the airlock back on.
With that kit, I've found you really only need the blowoff tube for about 2-3 days.

The beer is awesome, btw. I don't know if you've made this kit before, but that stout is amazing.

With that kit, I've found you really only need the blowoff tube for about 2-3 days.

The beer is awesome, btw. I don't know if you've made this kit before, but that stout is amazing.

Never made it before -- but we're looking forward to it! The wait is going to kill me, so I just need to forget that it's down there.

Back