Great Lakes Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Columbus is doing a bit better than the Glaciers, but they are all shooting out sidearms. Pretty happy for year 1!

Hops 7.9.13.jpg

My magnum and goldings are going wild, at the top of my 15' lines and throwing off side arms galore. My cascade, fuggles, nugget and glacier seem to have stalled at about 6'.

1 of 3 Glaciers made it to the top of my trellis. the other 2 stopped short.

Thats Awesome! Nothing like the smell of drying hops! Thanks for doing a great job with the Plants! Those are our babies ya know.. ;)

Just a quick picture to let you all know how much these roots will grow in 1 year. I bought crowns from them back in April and they has a root that was maybe 4 inches long. I just dug up the root ball to do some pruning (I rent and can't let the hop roots go far) and this is what I dug up.

hopsroot.jpg

@AndMan

What kind of soil mixture did you use for your beds, and how did you winterize them? I live in a small camp area, and have limited space and kind of envisioned a similar raised bed setup as yours. Picking your brain a little lol

I used soil I got from the city. There is a spot in the suburb I live in where you can pick up free woodchips or dirt. I used this dirt to fill my raised beds about 2/3 of the way. I then topped it off with store bought bags of organic compost with manure. I bought about 50 bags of this stuff. I think it was like a 1.60 or so per 40 lb bag. Seemed to work great, as I had wonderful first year results!

After my harvest, I waited until everything was dying off, and it was starting to get pretty cold overnight. I then covered the crowns with a couple inches of soil, then took a bail of straw and spread it out over the whole raised bed. I think I'm doing pretty good, but have never done this before. I would definitley recommend going with Great Lakes Hops and using a full crown to start VS starting with a rhyzome, especially if you live in a colder climate.

Cheers! :mug:

AndMan3030 said:
I used soil I got from the city. There is a spot in the suburb I live in where you can pick up free woodchips or dirt. I used this dirt to fill my raised beds about 2/3 of the way. I then topped it off with store bought bags of organic compost with manure. I bought about 50 bags of this stuff. I think it was like a 1.60 or so per 40 lb bag. Seemed to work great, as I had wonderful first year results! After my harvest, I waited until everything was dying off, and it was starting to get pretty cold overnight. I then covered the crowns with a couple inches of soil, then took a bail of straw and spread it out over the whole raised bed. I think I'm doing pretty good, but have never done this before. I would definitley recommend going with Great Lakes Hops and using a full crown to start VS starting with a rhyzome, especially if you live in a colder climate. Cheers! :mug:

Thanks man. Do you remember the brand of organic compost you used? I can't find anything around here that cheap. I've been looking at Great Lake Hops and that's where I plan on ordering them. I was talking to my dad the other day and he want's some for his property also. This is going to be a blast of a project next year!

Yeah great project for sure! I dont recall the brand of the "Organic Compost with Manure" but I do know they pull it off the shelves in the fall. Look for this stuff in the spring. The raised beds are great because you can grow all kinds of stuff on the ground level. I grew Habeneros, Jalepenos, Cayenne's, as well as Rosemary, Basil, Cilantro, and Cherry Tomatoes. We were able to make several batches of homegrown salsa, which was freaking awesome, but I would recommend keeping the tomatoes out of the bed completely.

What happens when the hops reach the top? Do the all converge in in big tangle? Also how tall was your set up ?

I'm going to do one like this

The Columbus hops went nuts. The main bines kept climbing looking for places to go once they had reached the top, finally wrapping around the main line. Tons of huge side-arm-nests at the top. Like a huge crown. The Glacier hops grew much slower and didn't shoot out as many side arms, and didn't cone out like the Columbus did. I have them spaced about 3' apart from one another so they should be pretty manageable, even as they grow back bigger and better next year. The posts are 14' long each. From the top of dirt to the top of the eyelets, its about 11 feet. The raised bed was built a little high in order to keep the dogs out.

Great Lakes are good people who know what they are doing. I've ordered about three thousand plants through them in the last year. All came alive and healthy. I would highly suggest paying for faster shipping if you can.

south florida hopping with Michigan hop alliance hops. I planted them in late February and have already picked some cascade hops last week.:rockin:

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

Just got my crowns in the mail yesterday, a chinook and a cascade. Got them in the ground right away with good soil and watered well. I’ve set up white fabric around each to protect from direct sunlight as well. Today, just about 24 hours later, the chinook has dry, brittle leaves that appear to be turning upwards. Should I be concerned? I suspect it is way to early and this is normal as the crown is simply in “shock” and adjusting to its new environment. I would appreciate your thoughts!

Neild5:Located upstate NY, Glens Falls. Hour north of Albany. Nights have been in the low 40's that past few with day time highs just under 70. It did also rain like hell the fist day the crowns went in the ground.

My second year hops are going crazy, just pruned up the bases over the weekend and the bines are almost at the top of my 15' lines.

Just did some serious trimming. Cut everything back about 2.5 feet off the ground in order to protect the pepper plants I have growing from the prickly arms and leaves, and also to bring in more light. So pumped to see these ones cone out! gonna need a cable rope next year!

Trophy Garden 7.21.14.jpg

Trophy Garden 7.21.14.2.jpg

Looking good! I had so. E chives that were hanging g out with my four plants, and they ate them while I was on vacation. I came back to a jungle, and I was too busy with work this week to trim anything back. Oh well, they were fun while they lasted.

What are you using this year for your top cable? It's looking pretty stressed with your big old healthy plants! Good work!

Back