Rotten Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gshank21

Reaction score
Hi, all

I just started home brewing and made my first batches of wine on the 11th. I made a mead before this and it came out ok, but 2 of my three wines have this horrendous smell today. Before they smelled yeasty and like fruit, but now they just smell like rotten fruit. The 2 that stink are a strawberry wine and a welch's white grape juice concentrate wine, but my lime wine smells fine. I used 1step on everything, used frozen fruit that i then boiled and, washed/resanitized everything between wines. The strawberry REEKS, and the white smells faintly bad at this point. They have been fermenting around 75 degrees. Here's the recipes

2 cans welches frozen juice concentrate
1-1/4 pound of sugar
water
Lalvin 1118 yeast

3 lbs strawberrys
unknown amt of sugar (i added until i got the SG i wanted)
water
Lalvin 1118 yeast

Everything in the strawberry wine was boiled and then ladled imeaditly into the carboy (pulp included because i mashed the strawberries) and closed with the original screw cap, until i added yeast, then airlocked. I made a yeast starter and used it for all 3 wines. The strawberry took off so fast that within 2 hrs i had to remove the air lock and add a blow off tube (sanitized) and then replaced the airlock after it had calmed down. I have been periodicly lightly shaking the carboys so that the fruit caps mix with the wine. I didn't use any yeast nutrient/pectic enzyme/acid blend because i didn't have it. Should i pour these out because they are bad, or should i wait and see what happens?

Gshank21 said:
Hi, all

I just started home brewing and made my first batches of wine on the 11th. I made a mead before this and it came out ok, but 2 of my three wines have this horrendous smell today. Before they smelled yeasty and like fruit, but now they just smell like rotten fruit. The 2 that stink are a strawberry wine and a welch's white grape juice concentrate wine, but my lime wine smells fine. I used 1step on everything, used frozen fruit that i then boiled and, washed/resanitized everything between wines. The strawberry REEKS, and the white smells faintly bad at this point. They have been fermenting around 75 degrees. Here's the recipes

2 cans welches frozen juice concentrate
1-1/4 pound of sugar
water
Lalvin 1118 yeast

3 lbs strawberrys
unknown amt of sugar (i added until i got the SG i wanted)
water
Lalvin 1118 yeast

Everything in the strawberry wine was boiled and then ladled imeaditly into the carboy (pulp included because i mashed the strawberries) and closed with the original screw cap, until i added yeast, then airlocked. I made a yeast starter and used it for all 3 wines. The strawberry took off so fast that within 2 hrs i had to remove the air lock and add a blow off tube (sanitized) and then replaced the airlock after it had calmed down. I have been periodicly lightly shaking the carboys so that the fruit caps mix with the wine. I didn't use any yeast nutrient/pectic enzyme/acid blend because i didn't have it. Should i pour these out because they are bad, or should i wait and see what happens?

You say it smells bad, can you describe the smell better? Does it smell like rotten eggs? If it does, you may need yeast nutrient.

In the mean time, "rack splash" your brew until the smell dissipates.

Homebrewer who entered the world of winemaking here.. I've done 6 batches of wine so far, and, I'm still getting used to the smell of wine during the process. Sometimes it smells pretty awful. I always use kits fwiw.

I took it to the homebrew store and the guy there took a smell and said it was H2S in my wine, and I should start degassing regularly. I degassed last night and this morning, it still reeks of rotten eggs, and produces lots of gas when shaken. It's also not done fermenting. SG last night was 1.05

Back