Mash temps for lambic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm brewing 13 gal. of lambic tomorrow and was wondering what temp you all like to mash at?

Grain bill

17 lbs pilsner
7 lbs wheat
8 oz malto-dextrin

Wyeast lambic blend and some dregs

If you have the time, patience, and inclination, I suggest doing a traditional turbid mash (good write-ups on the process here and here. If you want to stick with single-infusion, mash high. Really high. Maybe around 156-158 degrees F.

****My advice, have a trusty thermometer and a bunch of pots full of boiling water and you should be fine! There were a couple of instances where I had to add an extra few quarts of boiling water to bring the temp up to where I wanted it!
****Also, double check the day before you brew to make sure you have enough Propane!

I thought this was a great article and used this process and referrence the Mad Fermentationist's post.

http://www.brewery.org/library/LmbicJL0696.html

If you don't have the time, patience, or confidence to do a turbid mash, you can do a step mash or a decoction mash. If the wheat is malted, you could even get away with treating it like any other beer and do a single infusion in the 150s.

If you have the time, patience, and inclination, I suggest doing a traditional turbid mash (good write-ups on the process here and here. If you want to stick with single-infusion, mash high. Really high. Maybe around 156-158 degrees F.

I thought lambics were mashed really low. Like 149 or less to get them really, really dry?

No it is the opposite. It is the wild yeast and bacteria that make it dry and the goal is to leave some dextrins and bigger sugars for them to eat during the long fermentation process. That is why you mash high leaving more long chain sugars.
That way the saccharomyces strains only ferment the smaller stuff and it leaves an environment for the souring organisms to do there thing for the next year or more.

Back