1st attempt - Rough Estimate IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Thadeus_Toad

Reaction score
Im looking to try to make a IPA similar to north peaks Diabolical IPA.
Here is the description for Diabolical. or even somewhere in the ball park.

"The devil made us do it. From the ABV and IBU figures to the fiendish use of Cascade, Perle and Willamette hops, Lucifer was whispering in our ears the entire time. Citrus and pine scents greet you and are followed by the sharp bitterness expected of an IPA. The beer’s true wickedness is revealed in the smooth Pale, Crystal 30 and wheat malts that surreptitiously broaden the beer’s appeal to more than just hopheads."

(I'm new to making my own recipes) and really just having fun with it. i got a few carboys for the holidays and figured what the hell why not.

Here is my mad rough estimate recipe:

Grains
13# 2-row pale malt
1/4# crystal 30
1/4# wheat
Mash at 152 for 60 min

Hops schedule
.25 oz cascade, .75 oz willamette, .25 oz perle @ 60 min
.25 oz cascade, .75 oz willamette @ 30 min
.25 oz cascade, .5 oz willamette, .25 oz perle @ 15 min
.5 oz willamette, 1 oz perle @5 min

Possible dry hop for 7 days
.5oz cascade, .75oz willamette

Any thoughts or concerns?

Move the 30min addition to flameout. That's about all i'd tweak. I've never had the beer, so I can't tell you how much hop aroma it should have.

it is quite heavy on the hop aroma. and has a nice bite to it, without being overly hoppy. north peak is a michigan brewery. im not sure how far their distribution goes but if you get a chance to try any of their beers i would highly recommend it.

.25lb each of the wheat and c30 isnt much. I would do 11 lb 2 row, .75lb c 30 and 1.75lb wheat. I also second dropping the 30 min, and I prefer to use a single high aa hop for my bittering charge. I would make sure to get some cascade in that last charge to get a nice citrus aroma, unless you want a beer with more pine/earthy notes. Dry hop for sure.
Good luck!

That recipe isn't nearly complex enough in grain or hops, and it's REALLY light on bitterness in comparison to your commercial example. Pictures show it as a deep, coppery/reddish beer, and 66 IBUs is enough to offset a hefty addition of C30. Based on your description (having never tasted the commercial brew), here's how I would go about brewing a 5 gallon batch:

8 lbs 2 row
2 lbs C30
2 lbs Wheat Malt

Mash at 155º F

0.5 oz Perle, 60 min
1.0 oz EACH Perle, Willamette, & Cascade, 20 min
1.0 oz EACH Willamette & Cascade, 10 min
1.0 oz EACH Willamette & Cascade, flameout

Ferment for 2-3 weeks and sample. If the aroma is lacking, dry hop with another 1.0 oz each Willamette and Cascade for 2-5 days, then bottle.

So i just got done Brewing. It smells great. I think the OG was a little low for an IPA. i was hoping for around 1.060ish it ended up being OG was 1.044 at 75 degrees.

Is there anything I should add (like candi sugar/syrup) or just let it be?
any thoughts.

Back