A pictorial of my brew day (5 gal eBIAB)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disintegr8or

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a cream ale (BierMuncher's Cream of 3 Crops recipe) for some BMCfriends, so I thought I’d take some pics to document my eBIAB all grain brewday.

Everything setup and in place for a brew session:

Picture062-1.jpg

Ingridients:

Picture063-2.jpg

Adding filtered water with calibrated stirring spoon to 7.25gallons:

Picture065-2.jpg

Heating water to Strike Temp of 155: I am running through the PID, and one straight in the wall for faster heating.

Picture067-2.jpg

Basket and voile bag ready to go in:

Picture064.jpg

Dough-In:
Picture071.jpg

Picture072-1.jpg

Can't forget the Minute Rice:

Picture074.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

PID set to Mash Temp of 152 and on cruise control for 90minutes:

Picture079-1.jpg

Circulating the water every 10-15minutes to maintain temp:

Picture076-1.jpg

Picture080-1.jpg

After a 90 minute mash, I turn up the heat to 170 and mash out for 10 minutes.

Picture082-1.jpg

Once it hits 170, I unplug and remove the PID from the picture since I don't need it to boil.
I setup my basket rig while I am waiting

Picture083-2.jpg

After 10 minutes, time to remove the basket and grain. I let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then give the grains a squeeze with my grill gloves

Picture085-1.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Now I have 7.25 gallons of liquor ready to boil.

Picture089-1.jpg

Hot break scared me this time:

Picture095.jpg

Rolling boil

Picture096-1.jpg

I forgot to take a pic of the hop addition at 60 minutes, but here is the irish moss and yeast nutrient with 15 to go

Picture101-1.jpg

And IC chiller is in

Picture103.jpg

I use a small pond pump on my IC. I use tap water for the first 5 gallons and save that ~140 degree water to Oxy Clean everything when I am finished.

Picture108.jpg

First 5 gallons out of chiller

Picture104.jpg

Picture107.jpg

I then add a bag of ice to the sink and recirculate until ~74 or so

In the meantime I am sanitizing everything (already did IC) and re-hydrating my yeast

Picture097.jpg

Picture098.jpg

Once to pitching temp, I drain into bucket and then pour from one bucket to another to aerate

Picture110.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Pitching yeast

Picture112.jpg

And in the closet until fermentation starts, then to the ferm fridge

Picture113.jpg

My GSD rescue helps me wash stuff outside

Picture117-1.jpg

And finally, taking a OG. Hit 1.040, which is exactly what this recipe calls for.

Picture120-1.jpg

wow.... wow! i would love to do an eBIAB, looks way to simple!
looks like you had a great brew day :)

Nice rig. Which PiD and elements do you use?

I use two 2000w camco elements connected to a simple pair of switches. Works great though I think it would be a fun project to add a PID.

Here's my rig which I used last night.

image-1815719934.jpg

Thanks guys! It is really nice to have the space for my setup.

Nice rig. Which PiD and elements do you use?

I use two 2000w camco elements connected to a simple pair of switches. Works great though I think it would be a fun project to add a PID.

Here's my rig which I used last night.

I use (2) 1,650 elements. For the PID I used an Auber SYL-2362, 25 Amp SSR (since I am only controlling one element) , heatsink and K-Type thermocouple.

I believe I have right under $100 in the controller. It was money well spent.

so youre able boil 7.5 gallons with just two 1650 elements? hhmmmmm... and you just run them 100% for an hour? i like what i see.

I sure can. The main reason I stayed with 1,650's instead of 2,000's is because I have other stuff on those 2 circuits already, and didn't want to run 2 new 20A circuits for 2,000 watt elements.

At 3,300 watts I boil off exactly 1 gallon an hour wide open.
This was a 90 minute boil and my liquor volume was 7.25 gals, so I ended up right at 5.75 where I wanted to be. (1/2 of BierMunchers 11.5 gallon recipe)

This is the element I am using: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/EMERSON-APPLIANCE-SOLUTIONS-Electric-Replacement-2E754?Pid=search

And I am using a 14" Diameter, 17-1/2" tall 44qt kettle.

What's that filter you're using? And where can you get one.
It is a G.E. GXWH04F water filter with a FXWTC.2 cartridge. I am on well water and need to filter sediment instead of chlorine. There are a few different cartridges that will fit your water filtration needs. Home Depot and Lowes sell them and the necessary PVC to hook it up to a hose.

filter.jpg

This is awesome stuff. With this I can do a full boil and mash in my apartment instead of spending 5 hours at my parents every time I want to brew.

A Love Controls tcs-4010 is what i use for temp monitoring/control and up til now i've been using a 10 gal kettle for biab with two 1500 watt elements and
they give me a nice rolling boil.They replaced a 4500 watt unit that was a little violent in the 10 gal pot.But I'm building a 13 gal MLT and a 16 gal Kettle
and will use the 10 gal kettle for a HLT.I need to do bigger batches for my pipeline.I was addicted to carboy viewing.Wish me luck.

Awesome thread! I have a quick question. When you put your IC in, do you just let it rest on top of the elements or is it held above them by something? I would love to have a setup like this but I worry that my 50' SS IC would damage the elements if it was just sitting on top of them during the boil.

Thanks!

Awesome thread! I have a quick question. When you put your IC in, do you just let it rest on top of the elements or is it held above them by something? I would love to have a setup like this but I worry that my 50' SS IC would damage the elements if it was just sitting on top of them during the boil.

Thanks!

It sits right on the elements. Haven't had a single issue yet.

I've finally had the time to "finish" my system. I've installed and plumbed my March pump. All I need now is a plate chiller.

IMAG0267_zps2bc058e3.jpg

IMAG0284_zps9d4c1872.jpg

IMAG0299_zpsa4ac93ca.jpg

Latest posts

Back