Blue Moon Extract Clone from AHS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotic

Reaction score
This is going to be my second brew and was wondering if anyone has any tips for me while I attempt this.
One question I have is what is a good temp to ferment it at? my first brew (Bells Oberon clone) is currently in the fermenter and is holding at 70-71 degrees, is this a good temp?

any other tips would be great-Thanks!

another question: I'm currently doing a single stage fermentation process, how long should I leave it in the fermenter before I rack? the guy at my local shop said 7-10 days, but the a book I read says 2-3 weeks? what are your thoughts?

If you are doing a single stage fermentation, it is recommended to let your beer sit in the primary fermenter for at least two weeks. This will let the yeast do their job better, possibly metabolizing some of their earlier by-products that might otherwise lead to some off flavors if you bottle too early.

Anyway, that is what I've heard. Maybe some more experienced brewers can chime in and confirm or clarify (no pun intended).

I just brewed the AHS Blue Moon last weekend. I racked to secondary yesterday. It was a very active fermentation with a nice krausen ring.
I usually do the 1-2-3 method. Since you're not doing a secondary, I would leave it in primary for 2-3 weeks, or until fermentation is complete. use your hydrometer. You don't want bottle grenades!

:mug:

Don't mind my noob question, but what exact kit are you talking about? I am not familiar with all the acryonyms. is it here? http://www.austinhomebrew.com I love blue moon but dont like the hoegarden that is similar to it.

also what is rdwhab or what ever the others are?

DaveT said:
Don't mind my noob question, but what exact kit are you talking about? I am not familiar with all the acryonyms. is it here? http://www.austinhomebrew.com I love blue moon but dont like the hoegarden that is similar to it.

also what is rdwhab or what ever the others are?

Sorry DaveT

AHS=Austin Homebrew Supply

RDWHAHB= Relax Don't Worry Have a Home Brew
  • This is a reference to the book The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, by Charlie Papazian. This is a book I suggest you read. :D
SWMBO=She Who Must Be Obeyed (Wife, Ol' Lady, Girlfriend, etc)

BMC= Bud Miller Coors (common reference to the main watered down commercial brews)

ok, i received my kit today! my last question is did any one modify or adjust the directions that came w/ the kit?

Back