American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper, or anyone else, can you post a modified 10 gal recipe or should I just double the ingredients... I have never actually done a 10 gal and I would need to do 2 mashes.

Thanks

Thanks for an excellent recipe, turned out great. I followed the extract version exactly except with us-05 pitched dry rather than pacman. Finished a bit high at 1.017, but sweetness is not overpowering.

Yooper this was my second batch ever and I brewed this about eight weeks ago and I am tasting these tonight for the first time, other than a few sips here and there. I think they turned out very tasty and quite potent, 7.8%!!!

THis will most definitely be getting brewed again!!

Thanks for the recipe!!

Cheers!!

Holy crap I just walked in with ALL the ingredients I can't wait to get started brewing....on Saturday : (
Kind of an expensive batch of beer by the way 9.5lb extract, yeast,blah, blah....blah I hope it's all worth it!

Ordered up a slighlty modified recipe - AG looking forward to it. (expensive? No way like $18 delivered). Will keep you posted. Brewing this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

VoodooManX said:
Ordered up a slighlty modified recipe - AG looking forward to it. (expensive? No way like $18 delivered). Will keep you posted. Brewing this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

18 DOLLARS I bought everything today from my LHBS 3..3.3lbs extract, hops, liquid yeast, caps, steeping grains, grain bag, priming sugar it ran me about 80 bucks.I am so excited to brew this batch, but I would be doing back flips if I got all the material for 18 dollars!Where did you place your order?

18 DOLLARS I bought everything today from my LHBS 3..3.3lbs extract, hops, liquid yeast, caps, steeping grains, grain bag, priming sugar it ran me about 80 bucks.I am so excited to brew this batch, but I would be doing back flips if I got all the material for 18 dollars!Where did you place your order?

www.brewmasterswarehouse.com

I'm brewing AG and have a good yeast cake I want to use, so no yeast. I keg, so no caps or priming sugar. I just re-checked my order and it was $22 for this one and $18 for the stout. I did drop the base grain from 13 to 11lbs though, but as is would have been 26ish.

I'm also brewing 5gal batches.

VoodooManX said:

I'm brewing AG and have a good yeast cake I want to use, so no yeast. I keg, so no caps or priming sugar. I just re-checked my order and it was $22 for this one and $18 for the stout. I did drop the base grain from 13 to 11lbs though, but as is would have been 26ish.

AG sounds like the way to go brother, it's my near future doing a bunch of reading and brewing.
Good Luck..

One cost problem with this beer in particular is the hops - Warrior, Simcoe and Amarillo are all proprietary strains, and the latter 2 in particular are rather scarce in bulk at the moment and very expensive by the ounce. Without the hops this recipe would only run me $7 or $8 for the grain and yeast, but add in the hops and I'm looking closer to $30.

Brewing wxtract has its positives. Cheaper equipment, more calculated, less room for error. With all grain the bill for grain is cheaper however equipment is a big investment and the possibility of an oops is higher. Oops dont always end well at my house. If my gf hears oops she has learned to duck and cover.

RIT_Warrior said:
One cost problem with this beer in particular is the hops - Warrior, Simcoe and Amarillo are all proprietary strains, and the latter 2 in particular are rather scarce in bulk at the moment and very expensive by the ounce. Without the hops this recipe would only run me $7 or $8 for the grain and yeast, but add in the hops and I'm looking closer to $30.

jhenderson27 said:
Brewing wxtract has its positives. Cheape
r equipment, more calculated, less room for error. With all grain the bill for grain is cheaper however equipment is a big investment and the possibility of an oops is higher. Oops dont always end well at my house. If my gf hears oops she has learned to duck and cover.

Either way this will be my 5th extract batch I got over the cost pretty quick I'm sure most people do.Having a newborn in the house is kind of holding back from going AG.I know I would have to walk away for something then a Holy #!*& moment would happen.

FYI:
BEER WARS GREAT MOVIE

Brewed this last night. Slightly different hops schedule and a couple less lb's of 2row, but threw it on a Notty cake and it's bubblin' away happy this morning. Excited to try it.

Anyone have advice on what the optimum timing is for this beer? I want to have it mature nicely, but not overshoot that juicy early hop phase.

I'll be kegging it most likely.

I just brewed this a week ago with 1187 Ringwood yeast and I started fermentation at 63 F for the first 4 days, but the temperature here in Utah has dropped and my ferm fridge in the garage got down to about 53f and now it is sitting in there at about 56F. I don't have a heater in there. Will this temp drop affect this beer? Should I try to warm it up or just leave it alone?

I brewed this beer on Saturday night and realized I forgot to take a gravity ready (I know amateur move) well it's Tuesday and it's STILL going, fermenting like crazy.My 6.5 gallon glass carboy is foaming out of the airlock so obviously the yeast is doing a great job.My question would be, when would be a good time to rack to secondary to dry hop? I have no O.G to go by two weeks my be three..?

I brewed this beer on Saturday night and realized I forgot to take a gravity ready (I know amateur move) well it's Tuesday and it's STILL going, fermenting like crazy.My 6.5 gallon glass carboy is foaming out of the airlock so obviously the yeast is doing a great job.My question would be, when would be a good time to rack to secondary to dry hop? I have no O.G to go by two weeks my be three..?

Do 3 minimum. You should be good by then. You could always take a gravity reading and then another 2-3 days later. If there is no change then it's done.

Just pitched yeast in my 11gal AG batch I boiled up today. Hope it's close to the real thing. Love DFH

It's ALIVE!
Good thing i put the blow off tubes on this one!

jrxvnc.jpg

Update, here is what mine looks like now. It was initially cream colored after sitting in the primary for two weeks. I transferred it to the secondary and it has been there for the last three weeks. It has cleared up quite a bit but seems cloudy still. There is also a buildup of gunk on the sides of the carboy. I am thinking of transferring it again to get the yeast active so it will clear up a bit more. Thoughts?

IMAG0047.jpg

Two weeks in. I dropped 2lbs of the malt for my recipe but still had an OG of 1.061. I tossed it on a notty cake and here it sits at 1.012. I dry hopped it tonight. Drank the entire sampler warm and flat as it was and it tasted great. Awesome recipe. Will update in a couple weeks when its in the keg.

image-4265592095.jpg

After 15 days I racked tonight and took a sample, tasted great.Another 7 days and straight to the bottle baby, I need to start kegging.Don't know I can wait another 3 freakin weeks!!!!!

Update, here is what mine looks like now. It was initially cream colored after sitting in the primary for two weeks. I transferred it to the secondary and it has been there for the last three weeks. It has cleared up quite a bit but seems cloudy still. There is also a buildup of gunk on the sides of the carboy. I am thinking of transferring it again to get the yeast active so it will clear up a bit more. Thoughts?

I don't know- it seems like a TON of yeast stuff still in there. Maybe stick it in a cold place to get the yeast to fall out, and then rack to the bottling bucket and bottle it?

Just put mine into secondary this morning. The sample tasted good, but not as hoppy as I was expecting. I did the extract (full boil with the all-grain hop schedule). This is just my second batch. Can't wait to see what the dry-hopping will add.

just put together all of my ingredients for this one. I'll brew friday. with summer around the corner, i need a clean, hoppy, refreshing beer. 10 gallons of this should hit the spot! thanks Yooper for all of the great info!

Just put mine into secondary this morning. The sample tasted good, but not as hoppy as I was expecting. I did the extract (full boil with the all-grain hop schedule). This is just my second batch. Can't wait to see what the dry-hopping will add.

The sweetness of the wort always cuts the hops quite a bit, no matter how many hops you added in the boil. When the SG drops you'll taste them loud and clear.

I have all of the ingredients in my online shopping cart but I can only find simco leaf hops. Is it alright to mix the leaf and pellet while adding them? Should I do anything different?

Thanks,

Marc

Hey Yooper,

I just brewed up this recipe last night (extract style) and I have a few concerns. My LHBS did not have Crystal 40 so I used 45 instead but otherwise everything else was the same. During the steep, my temp reached 165 for a minute or two before I was able to get it down to between 155 and 160. Also, I got the wort down to 74F (1.080 OG) before pitching nottingham yeast and then i put the fermenter into a swamp cooler with a wet shirt and a few frozen water bottles. I did this at around 10pm last night. This morning the temp on the fermenter is 61F and no bubbles yet. I was just wondering if this was too cold of a fermentation temp or will the yeast eventually kick in gear? Thanks for the recipe and any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Yooper,

I just brewed up this recipe last night (extract style) and I have a few concerns. My LHBS did not have Crystal 40 so I used 45 instead but otherwise everything else was the same. During the steep, my temp reached 165 for a minute or two before I was able to get it down to between 155 and 160. Also, I got the wort down to 74F (1.080 OG) before pitching nottingham yeast and then i put the fermenter into a swamp cooler with a wet shirt and a few frozen water bottles. I did this at around 10pm last night. This morning the temp on the fermenter is 61F and no bubbles yet. I was just wondering if this was too cold of a fermentation temp or will the yeast eventually kick in gear? Thanks for the recipe and any advice would be appreciated.

I just saw this, so I'm sure the yeast is well underway (probably about finished) by now. Sorry about that!

Just opened the first bottle yesterday. Fantastic! I had to make a couple minor tweaks due to only having 1 oz. of Amarillo. I wanted to see if I could improve the head over my first brew so I added a half pound of carapils and carbed with Munton's KreamyX. Head is great with pretty good lacing. I read after the fact that there is some debate whether steeping Carapils is beneficial or not. I would definitely use the Munton's again.

I just saw this, so I'm sure the yeast is well underway (probably about finished) by now. Sorry about that!

Yes, the yeast are well on their way. Thanks for the recipe. Since I had a OG of 1.080, how long would you suggest letting it go in the primary? Primary is sitting at 63*F, by the way.

I brewed this beer back in April and just poured the first pint. It's a little different than the original (since my LHBS didn't have simcoe), but man it is a great tasting IPA. I love this beer, I have never had a DFH brew (since we can't get it here in Utah), but I think that this could be better:D.... Thanks Yooper for this recipe. I will brew this again for sure...

Back