Is this a reasonable FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rain164845

Reaction score
I want to know if the projected FG of this recipe is reasonable. The expected FG is 1.020 OG = 1.080 I would really like a slightly drier finish. How can I lower the FG more than it is at 1.020?
Thanks,

4oz dextrose
.5lbs crystal 20 steeped 20 mins
1lb wheat malt steeped 20 mins both at 155 degrees

6lbs Pilsen DME
1lb clear candi sugar

1 oz goldings 60 mins
.5 oz fuggle 10mins
.5 oz fuggle 1min
1 oz saaz at flameout

Yeast was WLP 568 from White Labs with no starter.
I fermented the first day at 72, 2nd day at 75 and 3rd day at 78.

You could pitch a more alcohol-tolerant yeast and see if it will knock it down. In the extreme, you could pitch champagne yeast, but that would take it waaay down.

Sorry - just checked out your yeast. You can let it sit for a month. I just used thw wyeast bel saison strain and it dropped to 1.025 after two weeks. I left it at 76 deg for a month, checking each week. All the sudden, it had dropped to 1.006. I'm waiting on bottles (I bottled 2 weeks ago), but I'm drinking out of the keg (same batch - split 50/50 bottles/keg) tonight and it's delicious.

Also, for future batches, go AG - lowering your mash temps provides the most fermentable wort you can get. If you go extract again, look for high fermentability extracts, use enzyme additives, or use more sugar in your recipe (up to 20%).

*edit* btw - for a saison... NO, that is not a reasonable FG :)

Yeah, I don't really know that it is a saison. But the sample I just took sure is good. Maybe more of a Belgian strong ale of some sort.

Joe

I agree that waiting a month is the ticket. With a pound of candy, it should go lower.

You didnt pitch enough yeast, I bet it got stressed out and your beer is done.
One option is to make a gallon of beer (use a pound of DME) and a packet of US-05.
When that gets to high krausen pitch the whole thing in your beer that is stalled at 1.020, that MIGHT get it to dry out.

FYI
Champagne yeast isnt magical pixy dust

Predicted FG of this beer from one of the calculator websites shows 1.020. I was hoping it would go lower.
Joe

Ignore predictions from calculators. They are often wrong, especially when it comes to odd yeasts like Saison strains. Increase the temps as fermentation goes on, and that will help attenuation. I second letting this yeast work for a good month, minimum.

Latest posts

Back