Funky off flavors in AG Doppelbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biermann

Reinvented Biermann
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an all grain Doppelbock back in September. The fermentation lasted about 3 weeks, and then I brought it up to diacetyl rest for 1 day when done, then gradually brought the beer to a 32 degree lagering temp, lowering the temp 3 deg/day. It has been lagering ever since early Oct. I tasted it yesterday, and it had this really bad "whang" to its palate, and it was very evident in the aroma. I couldn't detect any diacetyl (no buttery flavors), and the taste this thing has doesn't seem to be acetaldehyde either. I tasted it two other times prior to yesterday, and it has mellowed somewhat, but not where I would expect it to after 4 months.

The recipe is as follows:

8 lbs. Durst Munich
5 lbs. Durst Vienna
2.5 lbs. Durst Dark Munich 40 EBC
0.5 lbs. Durst Medium Crystal

Boil Additions
2 oz. Northern Brewer (60 min)

Yeast
Wyeast #2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast.

I employed a protein rest, and used a single decoction to raise to saccharinification rest, and held that for an hour. My sparge got a little screwed up, and the OG ended up a little low (1.070 instead of 1.079).

I kegged it yesterday to get it off any residual yeast cake, and I put it back in the lagerator after I purged all the air out if it.

Does this thing have any hope?? I'm beginning to have my doubts.

Advice?? Am I just being too impatient??

"whang" - Never tried it and I don't like it.

Still, that's a fairly high gravity and moderately high IBU, so give it some more time. If it was an ale I would have aged it at least that long and conditioning heavy lagers is a slow business.

Well, the best way I can describe the flavor/aroma is that it is a sickeningly sweet, caramel, raisiny flavor--- the beer doesn't make you gag, but it definitely has some off flavors. Its like if you take the characteristic "good" raisiny/malty flavors of a Belgian dubbel (and some doppelbocks that I've had) and multiplied them by 50x's.

Pimp Juice said:
I did a tripple bock that took nearly 6 months to taste ok. At one year it was just right. Give it time.

That's good to know. Just curious, did you taste it early on, and did it have any of the off flavors that I'm describing??

Biermann, give the heavies at least a year. Try to keep the temperature as
stable as possible. I think you'll be surprised if you can tolerate the wait.

It has mellowed somewhat. The first time I tried it I actually gagged and threw up a little in my mouth. Now, it is slightly drinkable, but still has this nasty off flavor.

I'll keep it in the lagerator for at least a year. The problem is that this thing is tying up my lagerator now. Maybe I can convince SWMBO to let me put it the upstairs fridge :D

Evan! said:
If my brew tasted like wang (not that I'd know what wang tasted like), I think I'd dump it out.

HHmm. . It has a "whang" to the flavor. . . .it doesn't taste like a wang. . . not that I know what wang tastes like. . .:cross:

When I think of "whang" or "wang", I think of two things. You know one. The other is a last name of certain Asian families.

Do you perhaps mean "twang"?

I really hate reviving OLLLLDDD threads, but it dawned on me the other day what this smell is. I currently also have it (minor) in my porter.

The smell is that of GREEN OLIVES!!

I went to Easter dinner with my folks yesterday, and low and behold, they had green olives there. . . .And something clicked. . .

The off flavor and smell in my doppelbock and porter is the same (albeit much less).

What the F@#$??? Anyone ever have this??

That said, the doppelbock is finally somewhat drinkable. Still stinks though.

Back