New all grain brewer mash question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enderdsus7

Reaction score
I'm trying Jamil and Palmer's wittebrew for my second all grain batch. The mash schedule in the book has dough-in at 122f, with direction to gradually raise mash to 154 after a 15 min protein rest at 122.
I'm planning to use 2 infusion steps to get to 154 instead of decoction techniques. My mash tun is a modified 48 qt ice cube cooler, so i can't apply direct heat without something like yuri's steam system. Does this plan sound reasonable? Will the two steps cause me to miss some temperature range i should more slowly ascend through?

I think you'll be allright

Like me, All I can do is single infusion and I don't even worry about protein rest

Your not going to make exactly the same beer that Jamil makes but it will still be a good one!

If you want to try stepping with infusion, start off with a thick mash of only 1qt/lb.

Thanks, that's actually the thickness i plugged into brewtarget mash calculator. Dough-in was calculated to just over 3 gallons, for a 12 lb grain bill, so it looks like i'll be right in that range.

Brew day went well. I hit all of my target temps and gravity with the volumes and water temps from brewtarget. I ended up with a 7.5 minute rest at 139 as the intermediate step between 122 and 154, but I really don't know that I accomplished anything useful by doing this. I might have to try this again with a single step from 122F to 154F to see if I wasted my time with an intermediate infusion step.

Lautering was easy, even with 6 lbs of flaked wheat and flaked oats (i can only assume this is due to the rice hulls, since i have not done an AG batch with oats/wheat yet.) Pleased with the Wit so far. Beautiful color and smelled great.

Will try to report back in a few more weeks when bottling time comes around.

Back