Would you still use this carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Reaction score
I broke the top off a bit while cleaning. i was thinking of still using it to make something with a long fermentation time like apfelwein so i dont have to mess with it often. the stopper with airlock still fits and seals up.. what does everyone think

DSCF1956.jpg

I'd get rid of it.

Even if it didn't continue to crack and break, inevitably I'd seriously gash myself on it.

If you gotta ask "Would you...." you already know the answer.

If you really wanted to, you could get a diamond cutting bit and chop the top off, then flame the edges. I still wouldn't use it for brewing, though.

That thing is now structurally unsafe. It may have some microscopic cracks elsewhere and this break creates some uneven 'weak spots' elsewhere in the glass.

I would say that thing is a ticking timebomb waiting to shatter now. Dont press your luck :)
-Me

I have a chip in the lip of one of my carboys, and use it just fine, but the stress concentration is minimal due to it being a very small chip. Your looks rather ragged and looks to have tons of major stress points. The long term thing might work, but not as a regular workhorse. If you do use, be VERY CAREFUL. Glass lacerations are nasty. If you do use it, I hope you have some way to carry it that doesnt put stress on the neck.....

It might be possible to get a bottle cutter and take some of the neck off. Then sand the new neck to get it smooth but the bottle cutter and shipping will probably cost as much or more than a new carboy.

I got one and made cups and stuff out of wine bottles. But it's a slow snd laborious process and you'd need to jerry rig the thing to work on a carboys neck

I would not use it as is

here's a bottle cutter

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018N6RR8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
$26 for Better Bottle or $100 for emergency room

That is the cheapest ER visit I have heard of... I guess if you have the $100 deductible it would be. Or maybe that is the new obama care (ducking and running...:D)

I would not use it. And I am cheap. I have a chip in the lip of one of mine... but no where near that.

Im going to just toss it to be safe and pick up a better bottle. i filled up my other 5 gallon glass carboy today and holy cow those things get heavy. id rather be safe

When I was using glass I probably still would have used it, but I also carried full carboys around with a carboy handle. In other words, I'm dumb sometimes (or, most of the time, according to my wife).

If you were closer I'd GIVE you a FREE carboy (you pick up) as long as you destroyed that one.:rockin:

If you can't afford to buy another carboy I'm certain you can't afford a visit to the emergency room or time off from work due to a slice artery.

Better safe than sorry...:D

Back