Done with LHBS!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bell0347

Reaction score
Just a quick rant. I am completely done with my LHBS. It kinda sucks because I try to support local small business but if you can't provide a quality product or at least occaisionally sweep the floor then I'm not providing business. I get this weird plasticy, soapy flavor in my brews when I buy ingredients there too. I don't know if it's old hops, stale grains, or what but I'm not going there again. :mad: Really ticks me off because I had high hopes for this last batch and didn't turn out. Should have known better.

I've used Northern Brewer, Brewmaster's Warehouse, and just recently ordered from High Gravity and have always had good results with their service, ingredients, and final product. Keep up the good work guys.

I buy most of my stuff from morebeer.com. Actually they have a store not too far from here but they have a large mail order business.

Ditto on that, I order exclusively online now. I get better service from Forrest at AHS via email and PM than I ever did from my LHBS. Midwest and Northern have been great to me as well. I definitely believe the ingredients are fresher from these folks than my LHBS. I highly recommend all of them.

I support my local HBS (High Gravity) but only becuse they deserve it. I won't support a store that sux. like my local hardware store.I drive 40 miles out of my way to get to a Lowes just so I dont have to deal with overly marked up poor service. vote with your feet/wallet.

I agree with a lot of what is being said. I too like the idea of supporting a local business but when I sit back and think about I want the best quality and product for my money. Sometimes my LHBS is best for the money and quality but about 70% of the time they are not. The advantage they have is convenience. Supporting a local company seems like a great idea but in the end the best company should get my money..... PERIOD.

Out here in central California we have Doc's Cellar in San Luis Obispo. They are great. Very knowledgeable friendly and the prices are pretty good for that "I want it now" type of shopper. Sure, the prices may be a little higher than online, but considering the overhead of a retail store, they serve us really well. I am quite pleased. Sorry your store is so inadequate.

theres nothing around me, so the nearest is 45 minutes and the owner of the shop is a freakin dick! he used to be cool but now he just grumbles when you ask questions, and rates beer on beeradvocate while you jaunt around his store looking for stuff...

Hey, you gave them a shot. I would not feel bad about supporting your local online retailer. I probably wouldn't necessarily buy from Morebeer, because they are a ways away, but I've bought from Northern brewer, and I've heard nothing but good things from most of the major online stores. Austin Homebrew is a regular here and he is always making sure people are satisfied.

The closest LHBS to me is like over an hour away. Factor in the gas money and ordering supplies online ahead of time only makes sense for me. Of course I love their place and always try to stock up if I'm ever down that way, but it usually doesn't work out.

Wow, hearing some of your stories I consider myself quite fortunate that my LHBS is top notch. His hop selection didn't dwindle or increase in price throughout all of 2008 (I have no idea how he did this), his hours are perfect (4-8 weekdays, 10-2 Sat), and he's great to BS with about old motorcycles. And if I order an Activator on Tuesday, he has it on Friday, and it was just made last week.

i think my local place is great, i think i split evenly between my lhbs and online vendors.

i've never been the only person in my lhbs. they seem to do a good business and every brew i have made from their ingredients has been great. plus they will talk your ear off about any question you might have and find a way to make most things work for you.

i am sorry to hear that your local store sucks.

the only thing i done like is their hours. they are only open till 6 and i work till 5 and its kind of hard to be there by 6

Ditto on that, I order exclusively online now. I get better service from Forrest at AHS via email and PM than I ever did from my LHBS. Midwest and Northern have been great to me as well. I definitely believe the ingredients are fresher from these folks than my LHBS. I highly recommend all of them.

He means Austin Homebrew Supply in Austin Texas. Here is a link:
Austin Homebrew Supply

Forrest

The LHBS near me is just a corner in the basement of a true value hardware store, but the folks are super friendly even if the selection is limited. my gripe is they don't crush grain, and i am not at the milling stage yet (though i find myself constantly looking at DIY posts).

I been ordering mainly from northernbrewer, but would love to try another supplier. which have people here had the best service/price with?

cheers
:tank:

my LHBS is a HUGE warehouse with prices as low or lower then online. it's awsome. :)

I've started selectively buying from online stores. I can't beat my local store's price on 2-row, so I keep buying that there, but more and more I buy hops in bulk and I buy specialty grain online. For a store that does a fair amount of business, I'm kind of sad they don't have more varieties of malt. I do still buy yeast there.

The LHBS near me is just a corner in the basement of a true value hardware store, but the folks are super friendly even if the selection is limited. my gripe is they don't crush grain, and i am not at the milling stage yet (though i find myself constantly looking at DIY posts).

I been ordering mainly from northernbrewer, but would love to try another supplier. which have people here had the best service/price with?

cheers
:tank:
It was mentioned a bit earlier, but i have been using morebeer.com. They have good prices, haven't jacked up one of my orders yet, and everything seems of good quality. I have the stale grain/ bad service complaint with my LHBS. they just seem unwilling to help, my questions are always answered with the "you are a moron" undertone. Plus way inflated prices compared to morebeer, especially when you figure in their free shipping.

larrysbrewsupply is where I usually go. There are a number of places around here to choose from but the best prices for my needs are at Larrys.

their website is HORRIBLE. but the store is great.

I'm pretty happy with Maryland Homebrew in Columbia. Only problem is their grain prices have slowly rising over the past year. 2-row is up to $1.75/lb and most specialty grains are creeping to or over $2/lb. Instead I've been getting grain in bulk and then picking up hops and especially yeast for them.

There's a good store in Corvallis, but I still buy most of my supplies online. It's a 60 miles drive each way, so most of the time, shipping is cheaper and I'm rarely in a hurry. I'll hit Joel's place if I'm down there for some other reason.

Yay for Austin Homebrew. They got me started in March and treat me well. They are 130 miles from me and I have been in there store three times. Bought 7 kits and all my supplies from them and will continue to shop there. Customer service is VERY important to me.

I'm lucky enough that my LHBS is also a major online (MIdwest) :p Though I did check out anther in St. Cloud that if it where a bit larger selection would be great since the prices match with most others I've seen. Can't really fault them for being a bit short on selection though, it's a physically small store that also sells computers and hobby/RC stuff in the same place.

Yea - I am done with the local store. I also tried to support them (even with a three-hour round trip to get there)... I bought a lot of merchandise there. Then I had an incident where he knew I was severely time restricted but he needed to order some items. I said ok - because I would still have had enough time to do what I needed to do. Well, two weeks later (he knew this was the deadline) when I called him up for the damage his response was that "they are a retail store and didn't have time for this and I should just order on-line."

All I wanted him to do is put together a box with the items I needed and I would pay for it and swing in very quickly to pick it up - my online bill for the same items ended up being about $700 so it wasn't a small order by any margin.

This isn't the first incident - although the others were rather mild compared to this. It's cheaper for me to pay for shipping than gas anyhow.

Well, I am glad, or rather be it a little sad to hear that others have the same issues and gripes. It seems that the very basic principals of running a business are in short supply these days. Professionalism, cleanliness, service with a smile, quality product. These things are getting harder and harder to find.

I noticed several mentioned Austin Home Brew supply. I have checked out their website and it's fantastic. They seem a little pricey but I and apparently others don't mind paying a little extra for quality and service. I plan on ordering one of their clone kits in the near future to try 'em out.

I'm lucky enough that my LHBS is also a major online (MIdwest) :p Though I did check out anther in St. Cloud that if it where a bit larger selection would be great since the prices match with most others I've seen. Can't really fault them for being a bit short on selection though, it's a physically small store that also sells computers and hobby/RC stuff in the same place.

you must mean minco/ nitro? Russ is GREAT to deal with. Defiantly an ambassador for the hobby !

We're getting a Northern Brewer in Milwaukee. It sounds like it will outdo their original location in Minnie. Up to this point, I'd also given up on LHBS and used Midwest Supplies for everything.

Well its a mixed bag for me.. My LHBS is great for most things (ingredients), but high on equipment and generally low on stock.. The staff is great and I always enjoy wasting a lunch hour with those guys... But... I have to say I have placed a few equipment orders with Austin Homebrew and have been EXTREMELY happy with the quick shipping and consistency.. I am close to finishing my "mother of all brew rigs" and I expect to be order many of my ingredients from Austin Homebrew moving forward.. I am lucky enough that standard shipping from them is next day for me..

On the other hand I did make one trip up to the "Conroe Vicinity" to check out that LHBS and was sorely disappointed that I wasted my time.. I found a dusty dank "warehouse" style shop with little semblance of a retail establishment.. I eventually got tired of being passed over time and time again for help finding the most basic of items and left empty handed..

JT

Well, I am glad, or rather be it a little sad to hear that others have the same issues and gripes. It seems that the very basic principals of running a business are in short supply these days. Professionalism, cleanliness, service with a smile, quality product. These things are getting harder and harder to find.

I noticed several mentioned Austin Home Brew supply. I have checked out their website and it's fantastic. They seem a little pricey but I and apparently others don't mind paying a little extra for quality and service. I plan on ordering one of their clone kits in the near future to try 'em out.

And the flat rate $7.99 shipping for everything.

I used to support my LHBS "Hennesey" as well, but the combination of prices, and service drove me away. Two of the guys that work there are great, but the one guy is just a pr*ck. You would think he is gods gift to homebrewing the way he talks.

Let me give you an example:

Me: Excuse me sir, Im looking to do water additions, where is the calcium chloride, and ...?
Him: (snotty tone) you don't need to do water additions unless you are entering into competions or something like that
Me: actually I am planning to enter some competitions.
Him: (more snotty) Well the water in this area is fine for brewing and additions are difficult to predict
Me: (trying to kill with kindness) Well, I am a water supply engineer, and I know its not easy, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.
Him: (exasperated) Well you are on your own then. don't blame us if you f*ck it up

I wanted to hit him over the head with a 1/2 keg dip tube at that point. Seriously. do i look like this is my first batch? I just told you that i don't need my grains crushed because i have a mill.

Anyway, now I buy from Ed at brewmasters warehouse. Im sure that the AHS and Midwest are good, but Ed had a special running, and I got great service on my first order, so i've decided to stick with him. In addition, I called him on a sunday morning about a product i had bought, and he picked up and answered my question.

You can only support a bad store for so long. Go with one of the quality online vendors.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Both Northern Brewer and Midwest are less than 20 minutes from my house. Can't go wrong with either.

You can only support a bad store for so long. Go with one of the quality online vendors.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. Both Northern Brewer and Midwest are less than 20 minutes from my house. Can't go wrong with either.

That would be sweet to have such huge suppliers so close to your place. But the grass is always greener on the other side. :)

I have Homebrew Heaven across town from where I work, so that's nice.

Save the bad LHBS for when you drop your hydrometer on brewday and need a new one, or when you are 2oz short on your priming sugar and just NEED to bottle TONIGHT.

Huh, this makes me feel lucky to have a really good LHBS in my neck of the woods. I don't know the guys there super well but they've always been really friendly and answered my questions and helped provide some ideas for hop/specialty grain substitutions in the same price range on the extremely rare occasions they didn't have what I was looking for.

If any of you are in the East Bay area I definitely recommend Oak Barrel for day of needs.

Huh, this makes me feel lucky to have a really good LHBS in my neck of the woods. I don't know the guys there super well but they've always been really friendly and answered my questions and helped provide some ideas for hop/specialty grain substitutions in the same price range on the extremely rare occasions they didn't have what I was looking for.

If any of you are in the East Bay area I definitely recommend Oak Barrel for day of needs.

you do realize this thread is a couple years old, right ? ;)

Back