MM2 2.0 or MM3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
Ok I have posted a lot on this. I'm buying a monster mill cause I talked to Fred and he didn't try to over sell me. So will a m2 do as good of a job as the m3. And is it worth moving to the MM2 2.0 over the others. I make lagers and really worry about tannins from shredded husks and I also make a lot of beers with a high rye content. I'd like to go cheaper but not at the expense of getting the easiest and best crush. Thanks for all the help.

Ok. Do the larger rollers on the 2.0 make it worth the extra 50 bucks? And what difference does the larger shaft make?

id say the 2" are certainly worth it. the shaft diameter probably isn't worth the extra cash. a 1/2" drive will limit your powering options as well.

I would suggest picking up the hopper and base if you can squeeze it in

Yep. Buyin it all. The half inch is standard on the 2.0. I don't understand the purpose, it's not like the 3/8 would break. Gonna power with a low speed drill from harbor freight.

I have the same set up. The MM2-2 has been great. For sure, the 2" rollers are an important upgrade. Don't skimp there. I also use the HF low-speed drill. Very effective. I actually worry more about breaking body parts if something where to jam in the rollers. For sure it would rip out of your hands.

I like the advice given here to pre-condition the malt before milling. Get one of those $5 utility tubs from the home improvement stores. That allows you to spread the malt over a larger area and wet it quicker. Cheap and effective.

Enjoy the new toy!

Back