Low final gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Coopers Australian lager kit. Substituted the 1kg of sugar for 1kg of brew enhancer ( I know it's just different sugars ) added 1/2 kg of very light spray malt, just playing with the recipe a little. OG was 1.042 now nine days the FG is 1.012 and that's been the same for four days, was expecting it to come down to 1.006, is this ok to bottle? Any reason as to why it's not come down further , I'm only six months in to the hobby and don't pretend to know it all, thankyou.

frostyp said:
Coopers Australian lager kit. Substituted the 1kg of sugar for 1kg of brew enhancer ( I know it's just different sugars ) added 1/2 kg of very light spray malt, just playing with the recipe a little. OG was 1.042 now nine days the FG is 1.012 and that's been the same for four days, was expecting it to come down to 1.006, is this ok to bottle? Any reason as to why it's not come down further , I'm only six months in to the hobby and don't pretend to know it all, thankyou.

I think malt and enhancers leave more complex sugars after fermentation (i.e. higher FG) hence why brewers prefer to use them over simple sugar! I think my coppers euro lager finished at 0.012 with a similar use of enhancer. As long as its stable, that seems like a reasonaible fg.

I would guess that the "brew enhancer" has a fair share of unfermentable sugars which are causing it to be higher. I wouldn't worry about it and bottle it in a few days if the FG is still the same.

However, has the temp changed? If it gets too cold you cold slow the yeast down or make them go dormant.

Also what kind of yeast and what temps are/were you fermenting at?

Fermenting at 20c had coopers 7g pack of dried yeast silly me dropped pack and lost about a quarter so I added a 10g pack of lager yeast

Back