Cocoa Powder?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balzern

Reaction score
Hey i was going to add 8 oz of 100% unsweetened cocoa powder to the last 5 minutes of my dark porter boil? Good idea?

Just plan for a yeast cake that is about 3 inches thick and a few weeks in primary. The cocoa takes a while to settle out and it really piles up on the bottom. None of this is a problem but if you aren't expecting it, it can be quite shocking to see such a big pile on the bottom of your primary. :D

I did it with a blueberry chocolate stout. Turned out well.

Blueberries, chocolate and stout. My 3 favorite things in one sentence.

Why didn't I think of that. :mad::rockin:

Use this cocoa- it's fat free

de3115630002.gif

In JZ's podcast for a chocolate cherry stout, he recommends using regular unsweetened hershey's cocoa powder. He also says to let the beer sit on that chocolate trub for awhile. I'm doing a chocolate cherry stout on Saturday. I plan on using 12 oz unsweetened hershey's cocoa at 5 minutes, giving it 1 week to 10 days primary, then transferring to secondary on top of 2 cans of oregon cherry puree. I'm also gonna try to scoop up some of that choco-sludge to let it sit on that for awhile longer. give that 2 to two and a half weeks, then bottle with a 4 oz bottle of chocolate extract. I'm super excited about this beer, and can't wait to see how this beer turns out

I used the 12oz of Hersheys in my stout with 60 minutes of boild time. I tasted a gravity sample and it has a nice middle-flow so far.
It is two weeks in the fermenter so far. My FG is high by 5 points though.

Back