Sugar content of different styles of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.T. Out

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for information on the sugar content of the main styles of beer (Pilsner, Pale Ale, IPA, Porter, Stout, Barley Wine).

I'm guessing that the higher the alcohol the more sugar in the beer.

Why does a beer that is high in alcohol have to be high in sugar? Is it possible to make it so the yeast eat most of it up keeping the final sugar content down but the alcohol high?

Anyhow, just trying to understand. I'd like to make more tasty beers that are lower in sugar content. And I'm pretty sure it just has to do with how much grain you add to begin with. Thanks.

~S.T. Out

Most beers have very little sugar in them when finished. The main exception is sweet stouts where lactose has been added. There it is added specifically because any fermentable sugar is consumed by the yeast. You might want to read over the style guide, if you haven't done so already.

A few people find maltodextrine sweet, most people don't.

I should clarify that when I say "sugar" I mean any kind of sugar, such as the malt sugar from the grains. I'm not asking about how much sugar is in beers that actually have it added (like some belgians) in some form.

~S.T. Out

To get the most sugar converted to alcohol you'll have to look for a yeast that ferments out "dry".

Look for recipes that ferment out below 1.010.

They can still be low in alcohol, but the ratio of sugar turned to alcohol is what you're asking about.

Back