Recent movie thread...what have you seen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Saw a reference to Munich in another thread, and it inspired me to post about it cause we saw it the other night.

It is pretty good. I am fascinated by that story so it was a must see. It went kind of long and it had some slow spots, but overall it was VERY accurate as far as actual events. Pretty good movie but not one I'll purchase on DVD.

Let's use this thread to post mini-reviews or what-not.....

...so what have you guys seen?

Have only seen the flashy stuff lately...both Narnia and King Kong. King Kong had my palms sweating for about 1.5hrs and my wife jumpy for hours afterwards! Definitely want to see Munich and Syriana. Rented the Johnny Depp Chocolate Factory and liked it...wish I had seen it at the IMAX while it was in town.

I also watched the Sutherland documentary Country Boys on PBS this week...was thinking about starting a separate thread on it, but have been waiting for PBS's website to come up all day long!

I thought Narnia was pretty good too. We recently saw the latest Harry Potter and I thought Narnia was a better "fantasy" example. I read the Nanrnia books when I was a kid so I was thrilled to see the movie. They did a GREAT job.

Slightly off-topic but do you guys have Cinema Cafes where you live? We have a few here--its a movie theater that you can order food and drinks (Yay beer!) during the movie. We frequent ours here. I prolly wouldn't go very often cause the food is blecch...but it is cool to have a brew while you watch a movie. I usually sneak homebrew in as well, and after my first purchased beer I drink my own after that.

We have one of those, but we also have a couple of theaters that actually serve beer along with all the other stuff. They tend to be a bit outdated compared to the 'stadium' theaters, but they're less crowded and, of course, have beer.

I saw "Walk the Line" when it first came out. It was a bit more of a love story, focusing on the relationship between Cash and June Carter, than I would have liked. It still kicked ass, though. It's a must see for any Cash fan....I'll be getting the DVD.

Jouquin Phoenix did one helluva job, and think he'll probably be in the running for best actor at the Academies.

ORRELSE said:
Saw a reference to Munich in another thread, and it inspired me to post about it cause we saw it the other night.

It is pretty good. I am fascinated by that story so it was a must see. It went kind of long and it had some slow spots, but overall it was VERY accurate as far as actual events. Pretty good movie but not one I'll purchase on DVD.

Let's use this thread to post mini-reviews or what-not.....

...so what have you guys seen?
I've got three kids...the last movie I saw in the theatre was like Garfield, or Cat in the Hat, or something. :( Before the kids came along I saw Gone With the Wind...that was pretty good. :) That Scarlett...she's a hotty. :D

I saw Grizzly Man last week. Pretty odd movie about a nutjob who lives with bears in Alaska then ends up getting eaten by one with his girlfriend, all recorded but never shown.

TxBrew said:
I saw Grizzly Man last week. ...

Yeah, yeah! I've been waiting for that to come out on PPV or on one of the movie channels I get before I dump them (b/c I'll have to start paying for them) in March! I read about that guy in a magazine while I was getting new tires put on the car at the Discount Tires. This guy really thought he was 'one with the bears'. Now, he's just so much bear poop.
ORRELSE said:
...do you guys have Cinema Cafes where you live?...

We have a few theatres in the area that have valet parking, nice seats with tables and waitstaff. I haven't been, but I have a couple of friends who have been to this one. They tell me they serve pretty decent food and, yes, they serve alcohol, but the beer selection is not great.

You really have to watch the movie. The interviews in it are fake or staged but his personal tapes of him out in the wild show how mentally insane he is. He is so insane it's seems fake.

I saw Crash - that was good. One of those where several things are going on at once and they all kinda get tied together at the end. I haven't seen one that I'll buy on DVD for quite a while. Star Wars III was the last DVD-worthy flick I've seen.

I am pretty lame that I do not like to go the theatres to much...drives my wife crazy. My buddy just gave me Wedding Crashers. I love this movie. Now I want to crash a wedding with a couple kegs of home bew:D

As for cinema cafes, we have a really good one. It's called ragtag, and it focuses primarily on independent and foreign films. They serve 1554 and Two Hearted there, and I've recently obtained a night to show some of my shorts. Well, the shorts I make with some other people. Can't take all the credit. I saw Good Night and Good Luck there, as well as some other "mainstream" independent movies, but they sometimes show movies you couldn't see anywhere else. It's awesome.

Sam75 said:
I saw "Walk the Line" when it first came out. It was a bit more of a love story, focusing on the relationship between Cash and June Carter, than I would have liked. It still kicked ass, though. It's a must see for any Cash fan....I'll be getting the DVD.

Jouquin Phoenix did one helluva job, and think he'll probably be in the running for best actor at the Academies.

I just saw this tonight, great flick.

I loved the Folsom prison sequence, I wonder if Johnny Cash actually did that at the beginning of the show.

Jouquin Phoenix did an awesome job. He nailed the facial expressions and head movements of JC. Especially during the Ring of Fire song. It gave me chills. Reese was great too.

Awesome movie.

Dude said:
I just saw this tonight, great flick.

I loved the Folsom prison sequence, I wonder if Johnny Cash actually did that at the beginning of the show.

Jouquin Phoenix did an awesome job. He nailed the facial expressions and head movements of JC. Especially during the Ring of Fire song. It gave me chills. Reese was great too.

Awesome movie.

Yeah, it was amazing how Phoenix pulled it off. I saw that Reese won best actress for playing June.

Glad you liked it! :tank:

i recently watched 'the great escape' with steve mcqueen. ok it was a good movie but i was kind of pissed that NOBODY ESCAPES, some of them even get killed, talk about a misnomer, they should have called it 'failed escape'. i know it was based on a true story, but i thought it was based on the story where an entire prison escapes and walks like 100 miles to freedom, which really did happen in wwII...i could not believe my eyes when at the end the 'cooler king' jumps his cycle over that fence, only to wipe out and get caught...LAME!

im not suprised juaquen pheonix is good in 'walk the line' that guy is an awseome actor, his performance in 'gladiator' when he played the creepy emperor is amazing, probably the best performance in like 20 years (imho)
p.s. good thread btw...better than the degree sign, and 'can i make a poll' threads put together...

um..... Gladiator?

I just finished up The Sopranos 5th season on DVD. I'll actually be current for the first time when the new season starts this Sunday.

Just picked up a copy of Jarhead, one of the better war movies I've seen. Havent seen a new release in a little bit, i guess the last one I saw was Good night, and good luck, that was an excellent flick.

I've seen a lot of movies lately, but the only recent one was Mrs. Henderson Presents. It's cute but will probably get the dreaded 'chick flick' moniker around here. ;)

Finally got around to seeing Cold Mountain the other day. Pretty good (how could it not be, with Jude Law as eye candy?), but the ending pissed me off.

dancingbarefoot said:
I've seen a lot of movies lately, but the only recent one was Mrs. Henderson Presents. It's cute but will probably get the dreaded 'chick flick' moniker around here. ;)
Yeah, but five of the eight "Lethal Weapons" are considered to be chik flicks here. ;)

Well, it does have nekkid women in it, so that oughta keep the men in the audience entertained. ;) And the bombing of London in WWII, so there's enough carnage, I guess.

The happy mug said:
I watched Zathura last weekend. It was a pretty good sci-fi fantasy movie, better than I anticipated.

I liked Zathura the first time I saw it.....when it was called Jumanji.

i've seen it before, but just watched again last night in america

it's jim sheridon's latest about an irish immigrant family... definately a chick flick, but a good one. will make you cry;)

Back