Burner Backfire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
The last time I brewed, I used a "new" burner that I had just bought. My session was going fine, burner was putting out decent heat, then suddenly the flame noise changed. I turned around, and the flame had made it out the air intake and had a secondary fire going. Being a crafty home brewer, I thought perhaps it was getting too much airflow. I waited for it to cool, then I put some foil over half the intake. This worked well for a while, so I went in the house to grab a bite (or drink). When I came back out, the flame had come out the backside again and was melting the hose. First, what would cause this to happen, and how can I avoid it in the future? Next, is there a vendor that sells replacement hoses?

when you say "new" with quotes do you mean new to you (used) or actually new? It sounds defective either way, I'd return it if you can. If returning is not an option I would take it apart as much as possible and try cleaning it. If you have compressed air you could try blowing it out. Another thought is that the regulator is defective.

Yes, new to me as in used. It has a nice stand, which was the reason I bought it. I'll try pulling it apart.

I brewed last weekend, and just used my old 10 psi burner, as opposed to this 20 psi burner. I'll tear it apart when I have some time and see if I can find a fix.

I'm not sure what the proper term is but it is possible to pull so much propane out of the tank that it will kinda ice up the tank and will give you a very inconsistent flame. I have the Banjo Burner Plus KAB6

Back