Vanilla methaglyin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgoddess489

Reaction score
I started a new batch of mead last evening. The recipe called for 30 cloves 30 allspice in the primary . Will This be too much? This mead is for winter solstice , so I wanted it spicy. That is a ton of clove.

I started a new batch of mead last evening. The recipe called for 30 cloves 30 allspice in the primary . Will This be too much? This mead is for winter solstice , so I wanted it spicy. That is a ton of clove.
Well I hope it's a large batch then. The JAO recipe calls for 1 clove per gallon, possibly 2 if you like them, so 30 is a lot, even if your WS ceremony is cold......

Yeah that Sounds like a serious Boatload. Maybe whoever crafted that recipe had really really really old spices that have lost their potency. But batch size is a factor.

My JAOM has 1 clove in a gallon, and it is clovey enough for me, and I love strong flavors. That much clove and your mouth will be numb for hours.

I think we've determined that it's too many cloves and likely too much all-spice, unless the batch is 20+ Gallons.

brewgodess, is there any way you can get the mead off those spices ASAP? Also I dont see anything about how much vanilla you used.

Thanks all for your input. I fished out much of the spice. There is one vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks. I'm sure it will still be spicy enough. The batch is 5 gallons. I hope I didn't trash my must. I was lovely and bubbling away. Made me sick to disturb it!

Since it's during the beginning and the spices have been reduced, the overages should have more time to age out. Don't dump it! That's for sure.

Worst case scenario, you need to blend it with a planer batch.

Sounds like this is a 1 gal batch.

1 bean is not a Vanilla Meglathin. I would use more like 6 in it. But I like vanilla and would expect it to take the foreground of the flavors if you are calling it a Vanilla Mead. I did 6 beans for a 5 gal batch once and it wasn't nearly enough.

Matrix

Matrix, maybe your vanilla beans were old? I used one in a gallon and its VERY prominent. I would think 6 would be approaching extract concentration.

I use anywhere from 8-13 6" beans in no more than a liter of pure grain for extraction over 6-12 months. I know when adding vanilla bean to must it depends on when you add it (primary vs secondary), exposure time, age/quality/type of beans, etc. So outcome is quite variable from one batch to the next.

Yeah the beans are pretty fickle in terms of extract-ability and presence from bean to bean. But in terms of it being "extract concentration" I wouldn't say that since the proof would need to be much higher than what the must / mead is. I also have heard that vanilla mellows out pretty quick so over-doing its likely fine. All you can do is taste every week or so and determine where you want to be at.

Matrix, maybe your vanilla beans were old? I used one in a gallon and its VERY prominent. I would think 6 would be approaching extract concentration.

Actually extract concentration is 6 beans to a cup of 35% ABV alcohol. I make vanilla extract for my wife. Trust me they werent old. Vanilla does not lose it's flavor when it get's old. They age it for 2 years. Just if you are doing a 5 gal batch then 6-8 would be a good start. For a single gal, I would go at least 2 maybe 3.

Matrix

Just if you are doing a 5 gal batch then 6-8 would be a good start. For a single gal, I would go at least 2 maybe 3.

Matrix

I know someone will want to know---Would you recommend adding the vanilla beans in primary or once FG has been reached, or a portion in primary & remainder later? I find it does depend on if you are adding to a fruit/spice based must versus going for vanilla only. And if you still have not achieved enough vanilla come bottling time you can add a few drops of quality extract (like our homemade liquid goodness)--tasting trials always recommended.

I always recomend adding them to the secondary or tetriary. I like to add them for about a month before it has fully cleared but in the final stages of clearing. Also adding them in with the oak is a good idea too. Kill two bird, one stone. But The vanilla needs to be in longer so I use seperate Hops bags to do so.

The reason for the addition at that time is that there should be a good level of alcohol at that point to actually extract the vanilla. In the primary, not so much. Only add to the primary if you are also planing on adding to secondary.

Matrix

Back