Thoughts on a Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDog

Reaction score
I'm looking at making a nice malty brown porter.

Grains:

9.5 lb MO
1 lb Brown Malt
1 lb Crystal 80
12 oz Chocolate Malt

Hops:

.75 oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1 oz Challenger @ 5 min

Yeast:

Wyeast #1084 Irish Ale Yeast

BeerSmith estimates

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.013
IBU: 31

Mash at 156* for 60 mins.

I'm hoping for this to give a nice bodied malty porter. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alex

What is your volume? At 5 gallons you would have to have terrible efficiency to only get to 1.052 with over 12 lbs of grain.

5 gallons. That was set from an old brew that got 60% eff. I can lower the MO down to 7.5 lb with a 70% eff.

I like that grain bill. I would probably cut the chocolate malt down to 8oz to decrease the "roasty" character and help concentrate on malt from the brown and crystal.

One malt I have really become fond of in browns and porters is Munich malt.

Depends upon what type of chocolate you're talking about... Can you be more specific on the Chocolate malt as it's a pretty generic term and can mean multiple malts of pretty varying SRM and chocolatiness vs. chocolatyness?

Adam

I LOVE brown porter!!!!! That is a great style.

As far as I know, there are only about two kinds of chocolate malt- the chocolate malt and "pale" chocolate. So I assume the chocolate malt is just that. There aren't multiple malts with that designation.

Anyway, I like your recipe for the most part. I'm not sure about an ounce of challenger late in the boil- I'd much rather see fuggles or EKG, and 1/2 ounce.

I'd drop the mash temp to 152/153, unless you really have problems with overattenuation.

I'm fermenting something similar right now
8# TF Golden Promise
1# TF Brown Malt
1# TF crystal 45
12oz TF Chocolate Malt

FWH .5oz Willamette
60min .25oz Pacific Gem
10min .5oz Willamette
FO 1oz Willamette

wlp007

OG 1.053

Hoping it turns out well.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into changing the hops a bit. My last couple beers I've mashed at 152 have attenuated down to .08.

I would rather see a London 1968 yeast for a Porter vs the Irish Ale Yeast.
Recipe looks pretty good, let us know how she brews....

Back