120 minute IPA First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnhem

Reaction score
I've never home brewed before but have been reading the forums for a little while and was wondering if you guys had advice on a first brew. Im really into DFH 120minute IPA. Do you you think 120 is a bad first choice?

Yes. Learn your processesfirst, including santitation. 120 would be a huge waste of money if it went bad due to not knowing what you're doing. Save it for another time.

annasdadhockey said:
Yes. Learn your processesfirst, including santitation. 120 would be a huge waste of money if it went bad due to not knowing what you're doing. Save it for another time.

+1

Find a good recipe kit for a style of beer you like. There are many proven recipe kits for good IpAs that will get you in the groove and learning the basics. It's one thing to read lot and another to actually brew a batch, control fermentation, learn patience and drink your first batch.

Yeah, what these guys said. I wouldn't even think of trying that any time in the near future. The processes needed to create a beer like that and have it end up drinkable are unbelievably complicated and definitely NOT for beginners.

Thats one nasty beer to make. I really do not see the appeal and I love IPA's!

wow, cant believe how fast i recieved so many replys so fast. Thanks guys. Maybe i will start researching some good summer beers. Any suggestions?

wow, cant believe how fast i recieved so many replys so fast. Thanks guys. Maybe i will start researching some good summer beers. Any suggestions?

What do you like to drink? I'm assuming if you're into 120 you like hops, so an APA or IPA would be a good place to start, and there's plenty of kits or proven extract recipes for both out there.

120 is more a sugar bomb than anything.

Do NOT attempt to try and make it. You will hate brewing, will fail at your first try, and it will cost you a fair bit as well. TONS of time to make it too.

I'd find a nice simple pale ale or something to start with, to see if you like the hobby.

Latest posts

Back