Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola Yoop,

Thinking about brewing your recipe again. Have you considered adding cocoa nibs? If so - would you add them to the mash, boil or fermenter? Amount?

I just saw this, so sorry I didn't answer sooner.

I never considered cocoa nibs- but I despise chocolate beyond belief. I hate the stuff, so I wouldn't make a chocolate anything (not even a cake). I have no experience at all with cocoa in beer. I'm sure many people do make chocolate stouts, though, with good results.

Ok... Brewing currently. Just got the sparge water off and waiting for the boil to start. going to go with Cascade vs the Williamette as I have 1.5 pounds of it.

I just saw this, so sorry I didn't answer sooner.

I never considered cocoa nibs- but I despise chocolate beyond belief. I hate the stuff, so I wouldn't make a chocolate anything (not even a cake). I have no experience at all with cocoa in beer. I'm sure many people do make chocolate stouts, though, with good results.

This is sad. My view of you as a Brewing Goddess has waned a little now due to your dislike of Chocolate.

(I can't stand chocolate icing on cakes though personally though....)

Is Black Barley (Stout) Black Patent(~560-700L) or Black Roasted Barley(~680-700L)? Or neither? I can't find that on the list of grains at my LHBS.

Just brewed my second batch of this today following the recipe exactly (used nottingham the first time). Used my new grain mill and crushed my own grains and got an efficiency of 81%, so this one will be slightly stronger than the last one when I got 70% or so. I'm excited to see how it turns out the second time and if it is as good as the first!

I made a 10 gallon batch of this today, using Wyeast 1450, Denny's Favorite.

It's sitting at 65 degrees right now. I'm looking forward to it!

What are the flavor differences you notice using 1450 instead of 1356?

What are the flavor differences you notice using 1450 instead of 1356?

With the 1335 (I assume that's what you meant), it was great. But with the 1450, the mouthfull was fuller and richer, but not sweeter, if that makes sense.

Plus, I have a huge amount of 1450 right now. :D

Ahh, good to know. I might have to try the 1450 next time and see how it comes out. And yes, I meant the 1335. :)

I love this beer....thanks again for the recipe and all the advice! I have 10 gallons fermenting now...5 of which is aging in a whisky barrel!

ForumRunner_20121002_085739.jpg

How long do you recommend letting this sit in primary before bottling, and how long should it sit in the bottles before putting it in the fridge?

How long do you recommend letting this sit in primary before bottling, and how long should it sit in the bottles before putting it in the fridge?

I usually have it sit in the primary until it starts to clear, about 10 days or so. It takes a few weeks to really come together, but you could try a bottle after 3-4 weeks after bottling.

Brewed this last weekend and I'm brewing it again today. Tried bottled water for one and tap water for the one today to see if there is anything different. I'm too lazy and unsure of how to use the results of a water analysis. I think we have a lot of chlorine in our water.

Can't wait to try a 10 gallon batch next time.

Oh, that sounds amazingly good!

pulled a sample this morning to see if its still fermenting and to make sure it dont get too bold.....went from 1.021 to 1.017 this week and has a slight oak tast with a touch of whisky on thee back end...gonna let it go till the middle of the week and take another sample but i'm pretty sure it'll be ready to keg by then! PM me an address an I'll send you a few to critique!:mug:

Just checked the gravity of our batch we brewed last week. Only 1.030 so I hope it hasn't stalled. Going to give it another few days and check again to see if we have to repitch. Hope not since $7 for yeast ain't fun. Though if it comes to it we may try notty since I have loads of it.

Gonna keg mime today and put my other 5 gallons right in the barrel...I'm sure it'll need more than the 8 days this batch took so I'll post as a reference. This was the first beer to be in the barrel so I'm sure the next bat h will probably need 2 weeks or so...

pulled a sample this morning to see if its still fermenting and to make sure it dont get too bold.....went from 1.021 to 1.017 this week and has a slight oak tast with a touch of whisky on thee back end...gonna let it go till the middle of the week and take another sample but i'm pretty sure it'll be ready to keg by then! PM me an address an I'll send you a few to critique!:mug:

Oh, wow- thank you! PM on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ban::ban::ban:

I read somewhere that it helps the mash pH if you mash only the base malt, and steep the dark grains. Has anyone done this, and seen a lower mash pH? Do any specialty grains need to be mashed?

Thank you for posting this recipe Yooper. I brewed this with a friend in mid-September and left it in primary for about 3 weeks then bottled it on Oct 7th. Yesterday the urge was too much and i cracked one open at 8 days in bottle.... Surprisingly it was carbed up pretty good and wow it tastes even better! I need to make more as these will surly be a hit with everyone!! The LHBS was out of 1335 so i went to US-04. That yeast has never let me down yet! :ban:

I'm not getting the creamy mouth feel I want out of this brew...should I get a creamer faucet? Is beer gas pre-mixed or just even parts co2 and nitrogen?

I'm not getting the creamy mouth feel I want out of this brew...should I get a creamer faucet? Is beer gas pre-mixed or just even parts co2 and nitrogen?

I don't know anything about beer gas or creamer faucets, so I don't know the answers to that. It's funny that there isn't the creamy rich mouthfeel, though. The flaked grains (oat and barley) seem to make mine really creamy.

It is more creamy than any other beer I make and this batch is more than the last so it's probably where it should be....I was just expecting a lil more although it is as creamy or more than any I have bought. I'll be bottling some for a competition soon and get yours on the way and let you be the judge as I'm my worst critic! Thanks again

Also, a stout faucet on beer gas will totally give it the creamy head and mouth feel you are looking for. I think that may be the only way to get it that way. You can put almost all beers on beer gas and get that feel. Have you ever had a Boddingtons Pub Ale in the can? Same effect.

I really like this recipe but I am new to brewing and don't have the equipment yet to do an all grain batch. I did put this recipe into Brew Smith and had it convert it to a partial mash. Here is what it came up with:

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast 1335
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.055
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated IBU: 35.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Estimated Color: 29.6

1 lbs 6.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked
10.0 oz Chocolate Malt
9.0 oz Victory Malt
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
7.0 oz Roasted Barley
6.0 oz Barley, Flaked
1 lbs Light Dry Extract
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract
2.50 oz Willamette

Still Mash at 156 but for only 45 minutes since I'm only have a 4 gallon kettle and mash with 5.7 qts of water.

I substituted Roasted Barley in place of the Black Barley as my LHBS does not carry Black Barley. I want to brew this this coming weekend so it will be kegged and ready for our holiday party on December 1st. Kind of a tight timeline, but based on what I have read here, it should be fine.

Thoughts??

I really like this recipe but I am new to brewing and don't have the equipment yet to do an all grain batch. I did put this recipe into Brew Smith and had it convert it to a partial mash. Here is what it came up with:

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Wyeast 1335
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.055
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.015
Estimated IBU: 35.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Estimated Color: 29.6

1 lbs 6.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter
12.0 oz Oats, Flaked
10.0 oz Chocolate Malt
9.0 oz Victory Malt
7.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
7.0 oz Roasted Barley
6.0 oz Barley, Flaked
1 lbs Light Dry Extract
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract
2.50 oz Willamette

Still Mash at 156 but for only 45 minutes since I'm only have a 4 gallon kettle and mash with 5.7 qts of water.

I substituted Roasted Barley in place of the Black Barley as my LHBS does not carry Black Barley. I want to brew this this coming weekend so it will be kegged and ready for our holiday party on December 1st. Kind of a tight timeline, but based on what I have read here, it should be fine.

Thoughts??

Roasted barley isn't a sub for black barley, but it might work.

I would keep the grains the same, though, as I can't imagine why the oats would be reduced to keep the beer the same. I'd keep the oats at a pound, for sure, for an oatmeal stout.

More like this:

1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2-4 pounds base malt (as much as you can fit)

Mash for 90 minutes, and don't go down to 45 minutes! You want to convert the oats. I would NOT sub the chocolate malt for pale chocolate malt. It makes a big difference- the pale chocolate is important.

I'd use 4 pounds of base malt, with the specialty grains, and use 1.5 quarts of water per pound in the mash, so for 8 pounds you'd need 12 quarts of mash water.

2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

I wouldn't increase the bittering hops, so I don't know why the recipe you have has 2.5 ounces in it.

Add 2 pounds of light DME at flame out if you used 4 pounds of base malt (marris otter) in the mash.

That should be really close.

Excellent!! Thanks for the quick reply. I'll make the adjustments. I just looked and my LHBS has pale chocolate malt so I will use that. I don't know why I put in chocolate malt...:confused: I'll let you know how it turns out.

I think you look good brew it up :)
us-04 worked great for me if you don't have time for the starter of 1335. Good luck!

Bottled some and kegged this bad mamma jamma today!! Can't wait. I added Madagascar vanilla beans and oak chips soaked in gentleman jack!! :)

My 2nd 5 gallons have been in a whisky barrel for 2 weeks and I can't wait to pull a sample tonight when I kegg....beer mail headed your way soon Yooper!

I can't wait to get this going. My ingredients just showed up from Brewmaster's Warehouse. Loved that I could just click the recipe (x2) and have it all ready to go.
I usually do a Red+Stout for Xmas, but my time is EXTREMELY tight this year. So I opted for a 10gal batch of this. Will update again later. Thanks for the great recipe Yooper.

Bottled this last week, looking forward to trying it, smelled great at every stage.

Yooper said:
WooHoo! :rockin:

Called out to restore power to the folks hit by sandy....shipping postponed until I return b/c I haven't bottled any from 2nd batch...on a lighter note I will be taking a growler or 3 with me ;)

Been in the keg for a week.. Couldn't resist. Gets better every day, super creamy, I can only imagine how awesome it would be on nitro!! Love the bourbon.

image-3567706571.jpg

Back