DIY Beer Line Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my original, I did not use tape on the mip/fip connection. There was tape on the compression fitting.
Mine does not have stripped threads. Didn't have to jam it on. Just hand tight and no leaks.

Not sure if the manufacturing of the sprayer has changed? Never had a problem with mine

I built this system today with NO problems. The threads didn't fit right until I put about 8-10 layers of teflon tape on the male piece of the flow master. Before that, it did not fit correctly. However, after I put the tape on, everything screwed together perfectly and there were no leaks! Thanks OP!

Thanks to OP for figuring out the threads on the Firestone post! Similar to CaptainDucman, I used this to set up my Keg Washer to continuously pump BLC through my lines (but just one tap at a time for simplicity).

THIS is what i ultimately settled on. The DIY was a great idea.. but, now I have my sprayer for a single use w/o doing change overs.

I made my first real use of this yesterday. I had made it exactly according to the OP instructions. I used a modest amount of tape, not a lot, on each connection. I had no leaks.

The only thing I had a problem with was that with the metal fittings it tends to be top-heavy, and has a tendency to topple over when the liquid level gets low. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions other than to prop it up in advance?

A step or two closer to my cornelius pin lock line cleaner.

I've decided to use a never-used 1 gallon garden sprayer i already have and a 1/4"FFL x 19/32"-18 adapter from CHI-Company. And my cornelius pin-lock gas post that only has one pin hanging on.

I'll be using 5-star LLC. The instructions say to run it for 5 minutes but it can be reused many times, so i figure a gallon is a good amount.

The only hitch is that the threads on the outlet of the valve the sprayer came with don't match anything at the hardware store. Which is ironic because it's inlet is 1/4 MFP exactly.

So it looks like I'll be hooking up to the hose that comes off the 1gal sprayer a 1/4" barb, a harbor freight 1/4" ball valve, and a 1/4" male flare fitting, onto which I'll attach the $7.50 post adapter from CHI, and then (with a flare washer) the gimpy pin lock post.

I suppose this means i can use the same rig to clean any hose with a 1/4" FFL connector, if i don't feel like cleaning the QD as well. Or i could easily convert it to ball lock posts, if by some miracle my 9 pin lock kegs suddenly change their posts.

Got my 1/4" FFL to Cornelius post adapter from CHI, works a treat. Recommended. I'm sure their 1/4" MPT adapter works just as well.

Used plenty of teflon to get the leaks to go away and now it's ready to go. Install time ~1 minute. Thanks for the writeup and images, works like a charm. I feel so much better cleaning my equipment now.

I built this on Saturday according to the OP's instructions, with no modification. Used it to clean out the lines last night, and it worked great. Much easier and more efficient than my old method. Thanks for the great idea and write up!

I built one of these over the weekend using this sprayer:

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=285868-1306-190315

Other than that I built it using the same parts as the OP. The adapter was a little hard to get on.. I dont think the thread were exactly the same, but with some teflon tape and a little force I threaded it on there and didnt get any leaks. Used it to clean out a beer line yesterday and it worked perfect!

Hopefully this will help everyone having thread issues:

The threads on the 56HD are 5/8-14. That is why everyone is having to use so much teflon to seal the connection.

Question: All the specs I find on the Firestone liquid-out post say 5/18-18. How does it fit onto the 3/8" flare??

I just made one of these for a Sankey keg system.

Parts used:
Flomaster Sprayer $7
Draft System Wall Bracket - 3/8" Barb x Male Beer Thread $10.50
3/8" FIP x 3/8" hose barb $3
Teflon tape
Old gas tubing

Total: $20.50

IMG_1295.jpg

Anyone know where you can find the adapter (3/8 flare x 3/8 FIP) in Europe?
It seems like a fairly straightforward part to find, but I can't find it anywhere.

I just made one of these for a Sankey keg system.

Parts used:
Flomaster Sprayer $7
Draft System Wall Bracket - 3/8" Barb x Male Beer Thread $10.50
3/8" FIP x 3/8" hose barb $3
Teflon tape
Old gas tubing

Total: $20.50

I did this also for my commercial lines with one exception. I didn't have the patience to wait on the wall bracket. I went to a local hydraulic place which has fittings for 7/8-14 threads. I told them I needed to go from 7/8-14 to a 3/8 barb and for $7.26, they worked it out.

IMG_0723_zpseffc0f90.jpg

IMG_0725_zps47855e48.jpg

Should I be worried about the small amount of what appears to be white lithium grease in the sprayer pump shaft? I too have the 1.5L GardenPlus from Lowes.

After going to use it today, my PBW had a substantial grease smell, so I tossed it and noticed it looks like about half the white lithium that was originally in there is gone...

5fm1py.jpg

I just made one of these with a corny keg liquid post. Turns out, it's pretty easy. There are 2 green pieces on the nozzle. Take off the first one and pull out the clear plastic piece. Then you can screw the post directly on to what's left. You will be making your own threads with the post and will need a wrench to force it on. The fit is good. To hold the poppit in position, you'll need to use a hack saw to cut off a piece of the green protruding part that the first green part (that you took off) screws into. I took off about a quarter inch. It depends on how far you screw the post down, so maybe saw off a little bit at a time to get it right. Works great, you don't need a coupling or washers. Just $7 for the Flow-Master 56HD and the cost of the post.

slhhr6.jpg

I just made one of these with a corny keg liquid post. Turns out, it's pretty easy. There are 2 green pieces on the nozzle. Take off the first one and pull out the clear plastic piece. Then you can screw the post directly on to what's left. You will be making your own threads with the post and will need a wrench to force it on. The fit is good. To hold the poppit in position, you'll need to use a hack saw to cut off a piece of the green protruding part that the first green part (that you took off) screws into. I took off about a quarter inch. It depends on how far you screw the post down, so maybe saw off a little bit at a time to get it right. Works great, you don't need a coupling or washers. Just $7 for the Flow-Master 56HD and the cost of the post.

slhhr6.jpg

Just used mine again last night, so easy, so cheap, so effective. I've got the same setup as the one you did.

I just finished something similar using a 3/8" compression to 1/2" MIP and then 1/2" FIP to 1/2" barb attached to a cheap (~$10) water pump. This fits a pin lock post fine, my main problem was getting the poppet to seal correctly which worked itself out using the compression ring from the original fitting to hold the poppet in place. ~$25 in parts (hardware, tubing, pump) and I have a much easier beer line cleaner than filling a keg and wasting CO2.

Greetings. I have read the incredible forum regarding building your own pressure system to clean beer keg lines using a handheld pump sprayer. I have a Danby one line kegerator with American sanke tap. I currently have the gravity bottle line cleaner that is hooked up to the spout. I am looking to build a pressure line cleaner and need to know if anyone knows the name or where to buy or how to build an adapter from the pressure sprayer to the American coupler? Thanks. Pics and specifics would be appreciated.

Did anyone mention that this thing is really helpful for sanitizing a beer gun before use, and for running cleaner and water through it afterwards? Because it is.

LandoLincoln said:
Did anyone mention that this thing is really helpful for sanitizing a beer gun before use, and for running cleaner and water through it afterwards? Because it is.

I use it all the time to clean and sanitize my beer gun.
I also use it to clean my keg in and out posts so I don't have to disassemble them every time I clean a keg

Besides the star San spray bottle, this has to be without a doubt the most useful DIY gadget I ever put together... Ever. It's saved so much co2, I clean beer lines with LLC after every keg kicks because its so easy with this thing and now I can sanitize my new beer gun. Great build.

Does it have to be a Firestone post? I tried this with a AEB (Cornelius, Spartan and Super Champion) post and I cant get it to fit onto the coupler.

Fudge. Any work around to avoid getting a new post? I'd hate to have to order again and pay the shipping.

I tried wrapping like 5 layers of teflon tape and then cranking down the extra post i already had....leaks

I have been putting off ordering the firestone but I guess there is no other way.

LanceBoyle said:
No, read my post of 2-2-13. I used a Cornelius post and it works fine.

Cool. Thanks, I think that may work for me. I actually read your post and thought "what is this guy talking about?" I had misread and thought you meant screwing onto the existing threads on the thinner portion; now I understand after re-reading. At least the coupler only cost a couple bucks, better than having to get another post. Thanks again!

No more filling a keg just to clean beer lines. I'm glad I found this thread, thanks OP!!

IMG_0804.jpg

I finally broke down and ordered a Firestone ball lock bev connector since my extra ones didnt match the recommended brass coupling/connector.

$9 + 6 for shipping then a huge wait for back-order and it still doesnt fit.

Is there another recommended coupling I can use with a standard ball lock connector?

I finally broke down and ordered a Firestone ball lock bev connector since my extra ones didnt match the recommended brass coupling/connector.

$9 + 6 for shipping then a huge wait for back-order and it still doesnt fit.

Is there another recommended coupling I can use with a standard ball lock connector?

Just screw it onto the green plastic, no adapter needed. See my prior post.

Back