5 gal batch in a 25 gal kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpcluever

Reaction score
Just got a job at the homebrew shop and I'm about to get my employee discount and replace my 5 gal all grain system with a shiny new 10 gal system. I want PLENTY of kettle room to be able to do extended boils and I get a killer deal on a 25 gal kettle. Might as well match for the mash tun... If I do a 5 gal batch, am I going to be fighting a system this big or do you think it's do able? Hoping to be able to push the occasional 15 gal as well. Thanks!!

Sure you can use it, but you will boil off much, much more liquid. So do larger batches or use a smaller pot for 5 gallon batches. Personally, I do not like to do anything less then 8 gal batches. Its the same amount of work to do 5, 10 or even 15 gallons, and who does not want more beer?

lol I know, I know. But sometimes I think it would be nice to make 5 gal of a beer I'm just experimenting with. What about a 5 gal mash in that 25 gal mash tun?

in both cases you will be losing; in the kettle, volume and in the mash tun, heat.

It's what I expected... Shucks, I'll have to just make more beer. Thanks!

lol I know, I know. But sometimes I think it would be nice to make 5 gal of a beer I'm just experimenting with.

PERFECT! Brew a 10g batch, split into 2 carboys and you have a side-by-side yeast experiment.

Back