Rogue Dead Guy Ale..??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jester

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good allgrain recipe for the Rogue Dead Guy Ale... I searched the forums and most of the recipes seem somewhat old, so I figured I'd ask to see if anyone has anything new..?? also, what adds the somewhat fruity flavor to this beer..?? All the recipes I have seen didn't have any type of extract or fruit in them.. but this beer has a fruit like taste to it... thanks in advance....

Jester

Odd, how? I don't think of my recipe as odd! ;) No, it might be a bit old (from last winter) but I haven't changed it. I will make an AG version sometime, as soon as I feel like making it again. I would just sub 10 pounds basemalt for the extract.

I believe the fruitiness you're describing comes from the yeast. Last winter, Rogue released their pacman yeast to homebrewers. It was a great yeast, and I used it about 3 or 4 times. I haven't made a Dead Guy clone without the pacman yeast, I don't think.

Yooper Chick said:
Odd, how? I don't think of my recipe as odd! ;) No, it might be a bit old (from last winter) but I haven't changed it. I will make an AG version sometime, as soon as I feel like making it again. I would just sub 10 pounds basemalt for the extract.

I believe the fruitiness you're describing comes from the yeast. Last winter, Rogue released their pacman yeast to homebrewers. It was a great yeast, and I used it about 3 or 4 times. I haven't made a Dead Guy clone without the pacman yeast, I don't think.

I didn't see yours when I was searching... I hope you don't take offense to the old recipe comment, just wanted to see what people have come up with recently... thanks again...

I brewed my Floor Kill Ale only once, but I'd like to do it again. It's a spin-off of Lorena's recipe. It was pretty tasty stuff (except for the keg that got oxidized).

I agree that the fruitiness is a yeast component. Fermenting at the warm end of the scale with English Ale yeast or White Labs' Pacific Ale yeast might work well.

Back