My Stirplate... Cheap and Easy Build...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mass probably isn't your issue. If you manually turn it a couple revolutions will it take off? If so you may need a starter type circuit or that bigger ps to get it to work. Also keep in mind that stronger magnets can mess with the motors magnetic field which can prevent it from running. Metal washers can help to shield it from interference. The best one I've made had issues like that from super strong magnets and it took several to provide enough shielding for the fan to run correctly.

I can get the fan to spin without the magnet glued to it but once I glue the magnet the fan won't spin when I turn it on. However if I give it a little nudge after I turn it on it will spin. How can I resolve this?

I cut a piece of wooden closet rod about 3/8" thick, and glued it between the magnet and fan, and it seems to work well.

If you're talking about from the frame most are screwed down even internally. HP scsi have a pinhole sized release that has a t7 screw inside.

If you mean from the back plate once you get them out, a tap on a screwdriver will work sometimes but be very VERY careful as it can hurt you badly. A safer approach is to use two vice grips on either side and bend the plate (not the magnet) and it is easily removable. Use a vice in place of one of the pliers if you don't have the strength to do it with pliers.

I've been toying with my DIY stir plate for the past few days.

Here's some parts that I found or picked up at Radio Shack:

25ohm rheostat
(2) 80mm pc cooling fans
a couple DC switches. 1 is illuminated and 1 is not
3 magnets from old hard drives
a couple 1" stir bars
(1) 2" stir bar
2L Erlenmeyer flask
project box
(1) AC -> DC converter 6v

I can get the fan to spin without the magnet glued to it but once I glue the magnet the fan won't spin when I turn it on. However if I give it a little nudge after I turn it on it will spin. How can I resolve this?

On one of the fans I cut all the fins off to reduce mass. This helped a bit. Now the 'fan' will spin when I turn it on. It will also spin when I turn it on (with hd magnet glued to it). However, it won't spin when I turn it on and have the flask with spin bar in position. Sometimes I can turn it on and THEN place the flask on in. Takes about 20 tries to get the bar to spin though.

Has anybody else had these issues? What did you do to resolve this?

I have some ideas but they are just wild guesses.

Stronger fan with more torque?
Use a 9v converter?
play with spacing (add some rubber stoppers to the top of my stir plate)?

While it's fun trying to get this to work, it is getting very annoying.

I'm not an electrical engineer by any means, so if anybody has advice, please use language that would be understood by a 4 year old! Thanks.

yeah your fan isn't getting enough power. use a 9 or 12 volt power source.

Got mine built.....:rockin:

Click on picture to view video.

Took two attempts due to a toasted fan and bad choice for charger.
I had to buy a 2 inch stir bar and it rattles a little bit when running.

Think I will notice any difference when my 1-1/2 inch stirbar gets here next week?

E-Mursed said:
I had to buy a 2 inch stir bar and it rattles a little bit when running.

Think I will notice any difference when my 1-1/2 inch stirbar gets here next week?

Mine rattles pretty good too, and I can't figure our how to make it stop either. I just do it in the garage where no one can hear it.

If you're using a curved magnet there is no way to completely eliminate rattling; yes a smaller stir bar will reduce the noise. Also, it bears mentioning that a starter will muffle more noise than water.

Hi

I have a couple of things to add:

1. The magnet can definitely mess with the motor. I burned out a couple of fans before I realized this. My final build used a piece of duct tape folded back on itself to adhere the magnet to the fan. The thickness of the duct tape seems to shield the fan from the magnet. I've had no trouble with this for about 10 starters over the past year.

2. As noted on other threads, you only need a little simple on the surface. You don't need a huge vortex.

3. I have found that the noise from the stir bar is totally based on placement of the flask on the stir plate. If the noise bothers you, slide the flask around until you find the sweet spot. AND / OR locate the stir plate in a distant corner of the house.

Weird. I'm pretty sure it's there, but you're definitely not the first person to have trouble finding how to do something on the iPhone app (multiquoting is a common one).

Normally, such frequent complaints would indicate a poorly designed interface, but in this particular case, it's hard to be sure - after all, iPhone users are a stark reminder of what happens when you add chlorine to the gene pool. The kind of people whose IQ tests come back negative. You know, a few IBUs short of a lambic... I'm not so cliche that I'd label them as being a few beers short of a six-pack, but they're definitely missing the plastic thingy that holds them all together. ;)

I'd tell you how, but I'm using the Android app which is slightly different... though editing a post on it is as simple as a quoting.

Weird. I'm pretty sure it's there, but you're definitely not the first person to have trouble finding how to do something on the iPhone app (multiquoting is a common one).

Normally, such frequent complaints would indicate a poorly designed interface, but in this particular case, it's hard to be sure - after all, iPhone users are a stark reminder of what happens when you add chlorine to the gene pool. The kind of people who start brewing saisons when told that their IQs are similar to their ferm temps. You know, a few IBUs short of a lambic... I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're a few beers short of a six-pack, but they're definitely missing the plastic thingy that holds them all together. ;)

I'd tell you how, but I'm using the Android app which is slightly different... though editing a post on it is as simple as a quoting.

I love the android app!

I got my stir plate going and WOW! I have never had a such and active ferment in all my brewing history!! I love it!!!!!!!!!

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

DSC01182.jpg

DSC01210.jpg

I finally solved my issues of the fan not spinning when I flipped the switch. The magnet was messing with the fans own magnets/brushes. A small pvc pipe then the hd magnet solved the issue.

I was so glad I finally fixed it that I made a second stir plate for the brew club I'm in.

The second one (cigar box) went together much quicker and is generally a cleaner install.

I might even try to build a 3rd one that will work with a 2" stir bar. Both of the stir plates I made only work with the 1" stir bar.

104_0005.jpg

104_0006.jpg

104_0007.jpg

104_0008.jpg

104_0009.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I like the rubber feet you put on the bottom of the cigar box, as well as the clear vinyl bumps for the flask to rest on.

----------------------------------------

I finally found a box big enough to comfortably support my BIG-BEER starter flask. The cigar box is made of very thick wood, in excess of 1/2" and it does not look like the switch's lock nut will even thread if all I do is drill a hole in the wall of the box... Hmm...

Stir Plate before (Large).jpg

After seeing the water damage on the top of my first box I figured those plastic doohickeys would do the job.

The feet were right next to the clear plastic things in the store so I installed those on a whim.

Well, I went with functional and easy. :)Sort of.
I used the CNC router and tooling board at work to help me in this endeavor.
I had some extra 1/16" X 3/8" rare earth magnets laying around as well.
I milled out the bottom to make a perfect fit of the inner fan.
Then I used a 3/8 endmill to cut the seat for the 3/8" magnets.
Super glued the magnet housing on, then the magnets to the housing.
I machined a piece of polycarbonate to make the stirplate base.
2" flathead machine screws, nuts and lock nuts hold the whole thing together.
I fashioned a 1/16" think aluminum plate to mountthe potentiometer.
I used an inline lamp switch for a power switch.

DSC00088.jpg

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00090.jpg

DSC00091.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

First of all that is one solid build! I a, inspired. I am trying to figure out why you have a hole on your top plate? Or am I seeing this wrong? You are probably gonna get some request for more of the magnet holder you made it is genius.

What you are seeing is the pocket that is milled into the bottom of the poly base but it doesn't go all the way through. It's milled out to allow for the part that holds the magnets.

Ok, got my washer glued and tested out agitation using the other hard drive magnet and success! The thermaltake fan is excellent. Tomorrow during my Maibock brew I'll be mounting into my box and should be going into final assembly. Will post pics when done.

Ok, got my washer glued and tested out agitation using the other hard drive magnet and success! The thermaltake fan is excellent. Tomorrow during my Maibock brew I'll be mounting into my box and should be going into final assembly. Will post pics when done.

I used a 120mm Thermaltake for mine. It came out of an older computer that was running for years. I expect it to run on my stirplate for many more.

I've got my electrical circuit up and running. Trial-and-erroring with the magnets. I've got some neodymium disc magnets, and the 50-mm stir bar with center ring from Northern Brewer. I have tried taping on one or two disc magnets on the center hub of the fan, with no luck. It's almost like the fan is spinning too fast, even with the rheostat at the lowest setting. What RPM do you estimate you're running at? Like slow enough to count the blades?

If I hold a magnet on its edge and spin it under the flask, it rotates the stir bar. But it doesn't "see" the field when attached to the spinning fan hub.

twd000 said:
I've got my electrical circuit up and running. Trial-and-erroring with the magnets. I've got some neodymium disc magnets, and the 50-mm stir bar with center ring from Northern Brewer. I have tried taping on one or two disc magnets on the center hub of the fan, with no luck. It's almost like the fan is spinning too fast, even with the rheostat at the lowest setting. What RPM do you estimate you're running at? Like slow enough to count the blades?

If I hold a magnet on its edge and spin it under the flask, it rotates the stir bar. But it doesn't "see" the field when attached to the spinning fan hub.

How much power do you have coming into the fan? Have you tried it with any resistance?

I thought my 9V wall wart was too much juice, but when I switched to a 5V it wouldn't spin well in a real starter. The 9V works perfectly now (but I also added an additional magnet)

How much power do you have coming into the fan? Have you tried it with any resistance?

I thought my 9V wall wart was too much juice, but when I switched to a 5V it wouldn't spin well in a real starter. The 9V works perfectly now (but I also added an additional magnet)

I have a 12V wall-wart. What do you mean by "No resistance"? No electrical resistance from the dimmer, or no water resistance with the stir bar?

How do you have your magnets arranged?

Have you tried moving the fan/magnet closer to the top of the box? It sounds more like you just don't have enough magnetic pull on your stir bar. Also, are you sure your magnet is well centered?

"one or two disc magnets to the center"

Are they spaced as far apart as your stir bar is long?

Are they oriented so the opposite poles are up (one is "S" up and the other "N" up)?

Have you tried testing the voltage out of the rheostat to make sure you have it hooked up right and are actually reducing the voltage?

Pictures?

Back