Leaded Beer, a Horror Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilmeimirish

Reaction score
First off, I'll say that this board has helped me immensely, and that while this is my first post, I'm a long-time lurker.

So onto the horror story:

A friend and I recently brewed an extract 5 gal red ale, in which, through no fault of our own, 8 lead pellets (.177 cal., airgun pellets) were added sometime during the first 60 min. boil, into 3 gals of wort.

We didn't notice that they had entered the boil until we were tall-pouring from the BK into the primary bucket, as we watched and heard several pellets 'clink!' into the bottom of the bucket.

You can only imagine the horrified look that was shared at this point in time.

After nearly 3 hours of carefully sanitizing the kitchen and all supplies, carefully measuring every AAU of hops and ounce of DME, after setting timers and thermometers and steeping grains to perfection, we had learned that something, somehow, had gone very, very f*cking wrong.

I know what you're thinking--how the hell did they get in there in the first place? I'll tell you! My next door neighbor's 10-year old daughter stuck them in as I was taking a quick toilet break. She was playing with my kid in the living room, and had only moments to act, but she found a way. This kid is like something straight out of a Stephen King novel, or Dante's Inferno-- She's Rosemary's Baby itself!

But let's not focus on my pure and unbridled hatred for a poorly parented kid or her pill-popping, Darwin-defying predecessors.

Never mind how the pellets got into the BK, the question is now this: Do I drink this stuff?

The pellets came out looking more copper-colored than 'lead silver', and the US dept. of health says that anything over 18ppb, yes, that's parts per BILLION of lead in a regular diet can be toxic in the long run.

What do YOU think?

~Mike

I wouldn't chance it. It probably wouldn't taste very good anyway. Get the girl's parents to reimburse you and start over from scratch, that's what I would do.

Verify exactly what the pellets were. In my opinion, if they truly are lead, dump it. I don't believe they use lead anymore for this application though, you might be in the clear. Bottom line, find out what they were. When in doubt (for this) dump.

*EDIT* Could very well be lead, I was wrong. Dump it.

What a kind gesture of neighborly affection for you to bottle and give the entire batch to the girls parents. Oh what a sweet guy you are.
;)

The pellets came out looking more copper-colored than 'lead silver', and the US dept. of health says that anything over 18ppb, yes, that's parts per BILLION of lead in a regular diet can be toxic in the long run.

"in the long run" is the key phrase there. Particularly if you are not going to be giving this beer to young children -- which you shouldn't anyway, yeesh! -- I would not really be concerned about lead poisoning.

What I would be worried about is the taste. Taste it (I promise you a taste will not hurt you) and if it tastes bad from the metal, well then, there's your answer. If it tastes fine, I'd be inclined to drink it... especially, as others said, it very well might not be actual lead but rather a substitute.

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried either. Most of the concern regarding lead poisoning is about young children or pregnant women where development would be adversely affected by lead. Since you're brewing your own beer, I'm guessing this won't be a problem. Plus it's one batch. Bottoms up I say.

You say they look more copper color than lead.... are they soft like lead or hard like copper? I sure wouldn't worry if they're copper....

Thanks for the responses so far!

They are, unfortunately, lead. (http://amj-gadgets.com/Crosman+Benj...00+Bhp22-gadget-specification-y821404855.html)

Soft like lead, they were taken from a case of pellets I had in the living room. As far as getting reimbursed goes, forget about it. This girl's parents are so drugged out they wouldn't recognize justice if it slapped them in the face.

Lead poisoning is one thing, but what about all that 'birth defects' crap? http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/birth-defects/lead/

Either way, I wouldn't worry. Depending on how old the plumbing in your house (and/or town) is, you probably get a lot more daily lead exposure than eight tiny pellets can give out.

Relax, don't worry and all that. :)

back when I used to have a bb gun I remember there were differt types of ammo. There were copper bb's and lead pellets. The pellets were domed or hollowed point and were maleable. They were softer and would leave powder on your fingers when handled long enough. The copper bbs were pretty solid and were copper colored. From what you described i'm thinking you have copper bb's added to your brew. BB's wouldn't worry me, but I'd confirm what they are before drinking.

If it's copper, it is 110% no problem. After all, those of us with copper immersion chillers have been deliberately immersing copper in their beer on a regular basis, eh?

back when I used to have a bb gun I remember there were differt types of ammo. There were copper bb's and lead pellets. The pellets were domed or hollowed point and were maleable. They were softer and would leave powder on your fingers when handled long enough. The copper bbs were pretty solid and were copper colored. From what you described i'm thinking you have copper bb's added to your brew. BB's wouldn't worry me, but I'd confirm what they are before drinking.

One day, a mother was making soup for her family and accidentally spilled a whole box of BBs into it. She fished around inside the soup, and satisfied she'd gotten all of them, she served the soup for supper that night.

The next day her daughter came to her, all distraught: "Momma, momma! I just peed out a BB!"

The mother consoled her daughter and explained what had happened with the soup. That made everything okay.

A little while later, her other daughter came to her, all distraught: "Momma, momma! I just peed out a BB!"

The mother consoled her daughter and explained what had happened with the soup. That made everything okay.

About an hour later, the son comes racing into the house. "MOMMA! MOMMA!"

"I know son," she replied calmly, with a soft smile on her face. "You peed out a BB."

"Hell no!" he cried. "I was behind the woodshed whacking off and shot the cat!"

:ban:

Brewing another batch is probably cheaper than the damage that the contaminated batch has the potential to cause. If it were me, I'd also be concerned about lead contamination on the kettle and now in the bucket.

I wouldn't think the amount of lead that could have been "released" could be harmful. That's just my opinion. The harmful effects of lead come from a long term exposure more than drinking a few beers. But, I guess better safe than sorry?

I would probably be cautious and just dump the batch, as heart breaking as it might be. Better safe than sorry.

You could get a water test kit and see if it's above level recommended safe by the kit.

JustAnEngineer said:
I'm fairly certain that over the years I've swallowed more than 8 lead pellets from pheasants I've shot. You'll be ok.

Yeah that's a good point. Not pheasants here but grouse. Didn't Romans used to add powdered lead to their wine? They seemed to live pretty long;)

I used to chew those pellets as a kid, i know now that it was a very stupid thing to do but i was like 10 and didn't know any better, I know i chewed more than 8 of them, im fine, so i wouldn't worry about it.

Vance71975 said:
I used to chew those pellets as a kid, i know now that it was a very stupid thing to do but i was like 10 and didn't know any better, I know i chewed more than 8 of them, im fine, so i wouldn't worry about it.

You would probably be some kind of super genius if you hadn't (I'm assuming your not) ;)

You would probably be some kind of super genius if you hadn't (I'm assuming your not) ;)

Well hell in that case i am glad i did it! I am already too damn much smarter than all my friends, they drink BMC beer, if i was any smarter i prolly couldnt stand them!:rockin:

Pah-leese, lead is only an issue if it gets into your blood stream. That would require it to become aqueous--i.e. dissolved in your beer. It takes a considerable length of time for any metal to dissolve into a low pH liquid. Your beer is fine, if you don't believe me, bottle it and PM me for an address to ship it to.

I get so tired of the precautionary principle approach to lead and other low level toxins. :mad:

Well, thanks for the advice guys! I'll buy a water test kit (just in case), but otherwise i'm glad I didn't toss it right away.

Do. Sheesh, we're taking advice from some who doesn't have 3rd grade grammar skills.

Wow, i've learned to not turn your back on drunk buddies for a second! Sorry man. Though he WAS right. It's "do" not due.

You could get a water test kit and see if it's above level recommended safe by the kit.

This is a good idea so you don't just waste it. It might not be very contaminated. With that said, the recommended safe levels for water are probably more focused on the safety of children and pregnant mothers who would be consuming the lead over a long period of time, so they're set lower than what I'd be concerned with for myself in this situation. You have to do what you feel comfortable with though.

Oh, and what a little brat!

Or..... you could send me a bottle and I'll titrate out the exact % ppb for you in my chem lab. And once it's fine, I'll drink it and critique your brewing skills for free as well.

But let me know in all seriousness I can test it for you. Off the shelf test kits are pretty low in the precision department.

If it was me I would be getting in a real estate agent pronto to sell up an move on to a better area where the neighbors are not druggies.

I had a fishing buddy/classmate years ago that use to chew on lead sinkers for fishing. I can remember him doing this since we were very young. Oh yeah, he use to swallow them to. No joke.

I have no doubt that lead is bad, but it is in every glass of water you drink and even in most foods. I will avoid it in most cases but when it comes to a batch of beer and a few pellets... screw that, I will let my body do the hard work and excrete the stuff.

Well hell in that case i am glad i did it! I am already too damn much smarter than all my friends, they drink BMC beer, if i was any smarter i prolly couldnt stand them!:rockin:

If you think you're smart now drive over to Chiicothe. I felt like I was from NASA there.

do. Sheesh, we're taking advice from some who doesn't have 3rd grade grammar skills.

wow, i've learned to not turn your back on drunk buddies for a second! Sorry man. Though he was right. It's "do" not due.

ಠ_ಠ

grammarnazi1.png

If you found the pellets I wouldn't sweat it. We have cooked small game for years that have been taken with a shotgun. You can never get all the shot when cleaning the animals. We always find a bb or two after cooking it.

Latest posts

Back